Ok with med lighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kristap

Aquarium Advice Regular
As I start to add more plants, I want to be sure that I am staying conservative in analyzing the lighting which I am able to provide the plants and what they require. My tank is 48G and has a pc 96W 6700K for lighting (single bulb coralife). My biggest concern is sufficient lighting. With these numbers, I have 2 wpg and think that I've only picked plants with low to med requirements. However, I'm concerned that perhaps the tank is too tall may keep me to the 'low' end of the scale. The tank is 19" tall and the light hood is setting atop a glass tank cover.

After much reading and surfing, I've put this little wish list together but wanted to run it by the board. I have been using a Red Sea/diy solution for my CO2 but have a proper pressurized CO2 system on the way (on pins & needles waiting for the door to ring any minute now)

What I would like to add:
Anubias barteri & coffeefolia, Balansae, Wendtii (red & green), narrow leaf swords, some java moss, petite nanas, and maybe some Tiger lotus for focal point.

19" isn't deeper than normal, so don't worry about that. you've got a solid 2wpg, and I think you'll find that adding pressurized CO2 to 25ppm-30ppm is gonna help things alot.

Your plant selection looks fine. The narrow leaf (chain?) sword may grow a little taller but it should carpet well. The tiger lotus will probably try to put up lots of surface leaves, but prune them quickly and it'll train the plant to put out fewer surface leaves.

I second malkore's opinion. You've got a great plant selection for your lighting and tank. Just keep a close eye on your nutrient (NPK) levels. With CO2 you should do quite well :)

Back
Top Bottom