OK?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newbieaddict

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 29 gallon with a brittlenose pleco and a blood parrot(will upgrade) how many more blood parrots could I put in for at least year and then upgrade, I'm upgrading later because I heard they're slow growers. So how many before they're stunted after a year????

Personally I wouldn't have any more than one pair. I had a pair that grew quit fast maybe it was water temp and feeding that hurried their growth I'm not sure, but they do get pretty big. Depends also what your gonna upgrade to.

As a result of inbreeding, the fish have several anatomical deformities, including a beak-shaped mouth that cannot fully close, which they compensate for by crushing food with the throat muscles. [1] Some commercial foods have been developed specifically to be easy for blood parrots to ingest, and recently some blood parrots have been selectively bred to be able to completely close their mouths. [citation needed] Blood parrots sometimes can have deformed swim bladders, causing an awkward swimming pattern; abnormal spines, contributing to the unique shape; and unusually large, and often deformed irises.

cichlidcasey said:
Personally I wouldn't have any more than one pair. I had a pair that grew quit fast maybe it was water temp and feeding that hurried their growth I'm not sure, but they do get pretty big. Depends also what your gonna upgrade to.

I'm going to upgrade to a 55 gallon, so how many for 55 gallons will be placed Ina 29 because they're only in there for a year. The temp will be low to prevent accelerated growth, and what specific food do you recommend specifically for blood parrots?

Because of inbreeding of this hybrid fish its mouth does not work properly it don't close so it makes a mess they eat. So for a 55 gal I'd have a school of maybe 3 and filtration for atleast a 100 gal talk. They make food for parrot cichlids you'd have to see your local fish provider.

I have a 29 gallon with a brittlenose pleco and a blood parrot(will upgrade) how many more blood parrots could I put in for at least year and then upgrade, I'm upgrading later because I heard they're slow growers. So how many before they're stunted after a year????

Why are you trying to do this in reverse? If you are worried about stunting, don't get anymore fish. Just stick with the bristlenose and blood parrot.

If you really want to keep your blood parrot healthy, do 25% water changes everyday and feed only once a day, maybe 3-4 pellets. Adding a 2nd blood parrot will not help keep your current one healthy.

rocksor said:
Why are you trying to do this in reverse? If you are worried about stunting, don't get anymore fish. Just stick with the bristlenose and blood parrot.

If you really want to keep your blood parrot healthy, do 25% water changes everyday and feed only once a day, maybe 3-4 pellets. Adding a 2nd blood parrot will not help keep your current one healthy.

I very much agree with this. You should be STARTING with atleaat a 55gal.

Get a couple, feed their special food, and be prepared to get a larger tank sooner than you're ready.
I bought 11 frontosa (1" long at the time) and was told "ohhh they grow sooooooo slow!!) well lemme tell ya....they've SHOT up in size! I've had them less than 2 years and am currently on the search for a 125+ gallon (preferably a 180-220)
Be prepared on be on the lookout for a larger tank now...you're gonna need it!

Ohh, and good luck! Cichlids are awesome but addicting!!!!! lol

Back
Top Bottom