Okay. I'm finally going to do something about these plants...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It looks like a pretty harsh environment down there for the smaller plant. With the lack of light and inconsistent source of carbon it's no wonder they are struggling. Can you put reflectors on your lights?

Are you dosing the recommended level of carbon?

Do you have enough flow to help circulate the liquid carbon?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have no way to add reflectors, I could replace the bulbs. Yes I'm dosing the recommended level of carbon and introducing it next to my spray bar. Yes there's sufficient flow.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How are the plants doing? Depends on the type of root tab but I'm not too sure. Don't really use them.

They're API tabs currently. I ordered the tabs from Amazon that come in gelatin capsules and I'll be using those. One sword is doing great and is gaining height. My others aren't doing so well, but have some nominal improvements. I add two more anubias that were kind of scraps from some tube plants I bought for my ten gallon. I'd like to add a Malaysian red in the corner I just took some driftwood out of. Could my current setup handle this?

They're API tabs currently. I ordered the tabs from Amazon that come in gelatin capsules and I'll be using those. One sword is doing great and is gaining height. My others aren't doing so well, but have some nominal improvements. I add two more anubias that were kind of scraps from some tube plants I bought for my ten gallon. I'd like to add a Malaysian red in the corner I just took some driftwood out of. Could my current setup handle this?

That's good. I think gel ones about once a month. You may need higher light to keep the intensity of the red but again I've never kept Malaysian red but give it a try.

As the plant grows it will be more efficient at obtaining carbon and so grow quicker. Try increasing carbon dosing slowly by the ml.

Good luck.

I think I might end up injecting carbon before I know it for more "hands off" maintenance.

I think I might end up injecting carbon before I know it for more "hands off" maintenance.

Not likely. You have to prune a lot more and will probably have to dose dry ferts. Estimate index or PPS pro depending on you light intensity. You may get away with flourish I don't know.

Everything still going ok?

Yes. One plant is doing great, and the others are growing. I wouldn't say they're doing great but they definitely coming along. I'm waiting for my order of root tabs in the mail so that I can replace them.

Yes. One plant is doing great, and the others are growing. I wouldn't say they're doing great but they definitely coming along. I'm waiting for my order of root tabs in the mail so that I can replace them.

Great. Did you go with osmocote?

I ordered the pack of 50 for like 8 bucks shipped. Gelatin capsules

Not much to update. Plants are still growing. Replaced root tabs this weekend. Dosing carbon at twice the rate right now without algae growth.

I should mention that one plant has taken off while the others are still struggling. I'm going to try cleaning my glass cover to see if that makes any difference and add the carbon on the opposite side of the tank.
Sounds like good ideas?

Here's a picture for reference. As you can see the sword on the left is doing much better than the others. The two plants in front of the left are some anubias scraps from what I put in my ten gallon. I have been adding the carbon right above this sword (over the spray bar). Maybe it's getting caught in the eddy produced and not getting to the others?

Attachments

• 1456835045317.jpg
    1456835045317.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 67
I would relocate the swords to the left side under the spray bar. It's possible that the wood is blocking some of the flow.

I would relocate the swords to the left side under the spray bar. It's possible that the wood is blocking some of the flow.

I'm sitting here and it's definitely blocking some of the flow. So a good portion of the water is just cycling on that large plant. I'm going to try the alternate carbon addition before relocating plants just because I have them where I'd really like to have tall plants.

No probs. At least you have a couple options. You could even centralise the spray bar and offset the wood to one of the sides.

What do you guys think about moving our splitting up my anubias? It'd be great in my ten gallon as a harbor for fry whenever I get that colony going, and I'm thinking I could replace it with a taller variety.

This thing is sprawling.

Attachments

• 1457375395012.jpg
    1457375395012.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 66
  • 1457375407645.jpg
    1457375407645.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 65
That's looking awesome but you could probably get another 5 plants out of that if you spilt the rhizome carefully. Go for it I say.

It's taken at least a year to get to this point. Lots of roots, etc.

Back
Top Bottom