Old filter cartridges...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andrewz00

Aquarium Advice FINatic
so the new 90 is up and running.... this coming Saturday will be one week...

everyone seems happy, no weird behavior.... my bamboo shrimp finally made an appearance. PH, Ammonia, nitrate and nitrite levels are all normal...

how long should i keep my old filter cartridges in the new tank for?
2 weeks? a month?

I'd say at least one month. I would just keep testing until you are have no ammonia or nitrites. Let it go for another week or so then remove and test for another week just to be safe.

i kept all the original substrate, fake plants and DW.... then added 50 lbs of new gravel and a larger piece of DW.....

so far ammonia, triates and trates have all been normal.....

i was figuring on a month, its just ugly sitting in there in a white nylon bag...

old filter cartridges as in you moved the filter over to jumps start the new tank? or as once cycled how long until you change the filter cartridges?

old filter cartridges as in you moved the filter over to jumps start the new tank? or as once cycled how long until you change the filter cartridges?

sorry gamer... clarification... when i set up the 90 it was an upgrade from the 45, instead of cutting up my lid to make the old HOB filter fit. i stashed the cartridges in a nylon bag and they are sitting in my tank behind some DW... also kept all the gravel, fake plants and DW.... and prob about 20-25 gallons of water... that traveled with the fish and gravel...

ok i just wanted to make sure we are all on the same page. i would wait 2-3 weeks before you remove them. also next time save your back some trouble and dont worry about the water. there very little bacteria in the water better just to use new water.

Back
Top Bottom