Old filter pad hold sufficient bacteria?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

squidsquiggle

Aquarium Advice Regular
One of my friends is determined to get fish in the next couple of days, despite the fact the tank isn't set up yet. I'm trying to convince him to do otherwise, but I'm not thinking it's going to work.

It's a 20 gallon tall, and if nothing else, I think I'll be able to convince him to only get a few fish to start with (and the LFS we're going to will back me up). If I give him an old filter pad from my mature tank (36 gallon, penguin rite size c pads about five months old), would that be enough bacteria to prevent a disaster?

I'm thinking the stocking is going to be something along the lines of a small school of tiger barbs or danios, or maybe a dwarf cichlid instead (I'm not sure which way he's leaning).

Thanks for any advice. And happy New Year!

Hi it would be a very good start(y) but i would also recomend keeping up with the small water changes and only feed once a day and only a small amount. I am not sure if you have it in your local fish shop but i use 'Nutrafins Cycle' This helps speed up the maturing process:) Also only add a few fish at a time and try and leave a fortnight betweens stockings and then hopefully avoid the dreaded new tank syndrome:nono:

Careful you don't throw your tank into a mini-cycle. Maybe give him half of your filter floss and give him the links for a fish-in cycle and make him read it before he puts the fish in the tank.

Thanks for the replies! I'm not worried about giving him one of my pads, I have three others spread out over two filters, so I don't think I'd be losing enough to hurt.

I'll be armed with Aquarium Advisor for our trip to the LFS, and I planned on making him read a few articles on cycling and stocking before we do anything, so I'm hoping I can get him on the right track for good fish-keeping.

Back
Top Bottom