Old used driftwood from saltwater tank OK for freshwater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

librarygirl

Look It Up
This might be a silly question, but I wanted to ask before I used it and the searches I've done only result in driftwood that has been found from the ocean which isn't my question.

My cousin used to have a saltwater tank many years ago. He's since given away his tank and supplies but he did keep a piece of driftwood he had in the tank (it has a base attached to it). It's been stored in a box for a number of years. If I soak the wood in hot water for awhile do you think it's safe to use in my tank? Should I be worried about anything decaying or leeching from the wood that might have been in the saltwater tank? How long should I soak it before using it?

Thanks in advance. :D

Shouldn't have to worry about anything living being on there and any cysts or spores that would hatch in saltwater shouldn't be an issue in freshwater. My concern would be it having absorbed high quantities of salt and possibly binding nutrients. I would think that a good soak in hot water should eliminate both issues, although I would probably do it a couple times and maybe even check salinity levels in the water after the last time just to be sure.

Shouldn't have to worry about anything living being on there and any cysts or spores that would hatch in saltwater shouldn't be an issue in freshwater. My concern would be it having absorbed high quantities of salt and possibly binding nutrients. I would think that a good soak in hot water should eliminate both issues, although I would probably do it a couple times and maybe even check salinity levels in the water after the last time just to be sure.

That's a good idea thank you. How would I check salinity levels? I know there's a gadget the SW aquarists use but I have no idea what it is.

*Edit: one of these? http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754109&lmdn=Fish+Saltwater

Last edited:
That's a good idea thank you. How would I check salinity levels? I know there's a gadget the SW aquarists use but I have no idea what it is.

*Edit: one of these? Instant Ocean Hydrometer - Saltwater - Fish - PetSmart

You're welcome. As far as checking the salinity, a hydrometer probably would be accurate enough for what your doing. Your just going to want to make sure its very low. They make a much more accurate device called a refractometer as well. Personally, I wouldn't buy either one for your purposes. I'd find a LFS or fellow aquarist that has one and either borrow or have them test if for you.

You're welcome. As far as checking the salinity, a hydrometer probably would be accurate enough for what your doing. Your just going to want to make sure its very low. They make a much more accurate device called a refractometer as well. Personally, I wouldn't buy either one for your purposes. I'd find a LFS or fellow aquarist that has one and either borrow or have them test if for you.

I'll look into that, but I don't know anyone else with a tank and for testing the water I'd have to trust an LFS and honestly I'd rather do it myself, the thing is cheap enough. :D

Also another question: is there anything else besides salt that I should worry might leech into the tank and harm the fish that I can or can't measure? Maybe I should just be safe and not use it. I haven't even seen the DW yet, but it sounds like a nice piece and I don't want to hurt my cousin's feelings if I don't use it. I just wish I could be sure ahead of time that it won't harm the fish. Thanks for your help.

I don't know that you'd have to trust the LFS per say, they would probably be happy to simply let you use the hydrometer yourself if you wanted. They're not really very breakable LOL.

As for other issues, the only other one I'd really be worried about would be the leaching of any nutrients that might have bound up with the wood. I would assume that testing the water before and after boiling would tell you simply enough if the DW was leaching any ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates. Beyond that you should be good.

Thinking about it a bit more as I typed, most of those old pieces of DW were a branching piece that had a slate bottom attached to them (usually with a screw). Since it was in saltwater for quite awhile, you should probably check the screw area for rust as well.

I don't know that you'd have to trust the LFS per say, they would probably be happy to simply let you use the hydrometer yourself if you wanted. They're not really very breakable LOL.

As for other issues, the only other one I'd really be worried about would be the leaching of any nutrients that might have bound up with the wood. I would assume that testing the water before and after boiling would tell you simply enough if the DW was leaching any ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates. Beyond that you should be good.

Thinking about it a bit more as I typed, most of those old pieces of DW were a branching piece that had a slate bottom attached to them (usually with a screw). Since it was in saltwater for quite awhile, you should probably check the screw area for rust as well.

Wow great advice thanks, I never would have thought to check that. He did mention it's a branching piece with a hole in the middle for the fish to pass through with a slate bottom. My DW has a slate bottom too (I bought it new though from a fish store) although I didn't look for a screw, it might have been attached with some adhesive. I'm getting his piece tomorrow so I'll check for the screw, soak the DW in hot boiling water for a few days and change the water daily and test the water with the API kit and the hydrometer.

Thanks again you've been very helpful.

Wow great advice thanks, I never would have thought to check that. He did mention it's a branching piece with a hole in the middle for the fish to pass through with a slate bottom. My DW has a slate bottom too (I bought it new though from a fish store) although I didn't look for a screw, it might have been attached with some adhesive. I'm getting his piece tomorrow so I'll check for the screw, soak the DW in hot boiling water for a few days and change the water daily and test the water with the API kit and the hydrometer.

Thanks again you've been very helpful.

Welcome - hope it all turns out great for you.

Back
Top Bottom