Omega One sinking pellets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Masha

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Does anybody else use these?
Trying to find food that my cories can eat easily.

ShrimpPellets4_5oz_2.png

Am I using them wrong? I can only get them to sink if I poke at them for a bit. Then they seem too hard for my cories to get much nourishment out of them. And by the time they've sucked at them for a bit, my black widow tetras have grabbed the pellet and parade with it through the tank.

My questions are:
Are my little bronze cories capable of getting nourishment from these? Or do they need a more crumbly pellet?

Can they harm my other fish when they swallow them whole? Black widdow tetras, some of them not that big! The pellet almost doesn't fit in their mouths but they force it down all the same.

Wondering if I should soak the pellet first before I put it in?

I used to feed these pellets and had the exact same problem. My corys loved them, but my other fish would snatch them up before they could finish. My angel even developed a habit of following my corys around the tank and when she saw them "sniffing" something, she would nip at then to scare them away and then eat whatever they had found.
Because of this I have stopped feeding pellets or any type of sinking wafer all together. What I do is soak flakes in water and pour them in the tank so that lots of them sink to the bottom. My bottom feeders (corys and kuhli loaches) go crazy searching for the flakes and they seem to get enough nourishment this way.

To answer your questions about this pellet, soaking in water for a few minutes is never a bad idea. And yes, your corys can get enough nourishment from these but it might be a good idea to supplement with a veggie or algae wafer as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks!
That helps a lot. I've been placing flakes on the gravel by hand, never thought of just soaking them first.

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

When I used these I would break them in half and throw them at the water. They sank pretty well then. Soaking would help a lot too.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom