One final question about tank mates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

soccerjohn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok. I am about to set up my 10 gal FW tank and I have one final question about tank maktes. Can I put 4 Tiger Barbs with 6+ Danios Zebras. I know that the barbs are fine nippers and the danios don't have very big fins. If Danios are not good can some one recommend a good tank mate that will also make my tank look nice without over crowding it. Thanks

Can I put 4 Tiger Barbs with 6+ Danios Zebras.
Are the Danios coming from your 5 gal tank? I'm not sure that you are providing enough swimming room in the 5 gal with 10 Danios, or a 10 gal with 6 Danios and 4 barbs.

I would not keep any tiger barbs in a 10 gallon. Mine are in a 55 gallon and they are extremely active fish. They swim constantly and IMO they should not be kept in less than a 3 foot tank. I have never kept danios, but I imagine that 10 of them would really be pushing the limits of a 10 gallon tank. I see in your sig line that you have a black moor goldfish... why don't you move it to the 10 gallon tank. It will quickly outgrow a 2.5 gallon, and although it will grow much too big for even a 10 gallon, it would be better at least. Then you could get a betta for your 2.5 gallon, they are beautiful and have lots of personality... just a thought. :D

Yes I am going to move some of the danios over into the 10 gal if not all 10 and then I was going to put the black moor in the 5 gal and was going to get another betta to go in the 2.5 gal. I had a betta in it before but it died about a year ago and that tank was empty for awhile. The 10 danios seem fine in there right now. It was worse because they had fry and it was terrible. Finally I got rid of them all but the orignial 10. I am trying to save up for a 55 gal so that I can get some tiger barbs. That will happen once I move into my new house which I am hoping will be within the next month. (crosses fingers) I just really like those fish. Ok so then lets just say that I had a bigger tank (55 gal). Would the barbs and the danios be alright and what other tank mates will work for the barbs?

LOL I like tiger barbs too, just got 5 more yesterday! I am not sure about TBs and danios, as I have never kept danios, but my experience with TBs is that they don't pay much attention to anything except themselves so it would probably be ok. They are tough and fast enough to live with cichlids if you are thinking about getting some cichlids. Mine live with a severum, a convict, and a firemouth, and they do fine. As far as other tankmates, just make sure they don't have long fins to nip, and make sure they can tolerate boisterous behavior. You wouldn't want to keep TBs with angels for example. And remember that they get about 2 1/2 to 3 inches long eventually so don't overstock. HTH :D

Back
Top Bottom