One Lone Panda Cory

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theotheragentm

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have 5 Panda Cories in my 55-gallon tank. Four of them school together and always choose the same place to rest. The fifth is the outcast of the group. I'm not sure why this is, whether it is by his choice or by the choice of the four others. Should I just leave the numbers as they are or should I add some more Pandas and create rival Panda Cory gangs? It'll be West Side Story underwater.

Yeah that is weird, I have never seen where cories single one out. But keep us posted and see if you have a west side story underwater. :)

Alright, I think maybe I will pick some more up this weekend. I'll have to set up my stereo to play music towards the tank. West Side Story doesn't just happen. You have to make it happen.

FWIW I have 4 Habrosus cories in a 10g and they do the same thing...3 school together and one is always off by itself. I can't tell if it's always the same one, though.

I think three possibilities:

1. The alone one is sick/weak/has parasites, it doesn't want to pass to others.
2. Sex separation at certain stage.
3. It is a stranger in the group.

If it is a healthy one, one day it will join the group. If it is not health, it will die within 2 months. This is what I have found. My newly bought panda cories either died within 2 months, or live for 6+ months and are still going on.

This lone Panda has been in the tank with everyone else for about five months at least, always the loner. I went ahead and picked up some more Pandas and things are looking great now. All the Pandas are more active.

After things have settled down with the new Pandas doing well thus far, it is now twelve Pandas in a group with one lone one. I can't be 100% positive it is the same one, but it looks to be based on darkness and fin shape. Perhaps he truly is the rebel without a cause.

Back
Top Bottom