One more down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

your bro joshi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I don't know what's happening why do fish tend to die? ? This time balloon molly. Having hard time to come to surface. Might be gasping for air. until I tried to diagnose the disease, boom she's gone.others are doing fine. Overcrowding is a problem? I have 5 fishes n one baby.

How big is your tank?
What livestock are in tank?
What's your water chemistry?
Have you made any changes?

Water chemistry is fine, 10 gallon tank, 2 platys 3 mollies 1 small fry. Latest change brought 2 platys they get along fine no clashes

I have read that the balloon trait makes the fish genetically weaker, I'm horrible about remembering where though.

I think balloon mollies are just weaker fish. They're the first to go in my experience. Did the platys introduce disease by any chance? Any signs of Ich? Or other parasites? Red gills, etc?

Don't think so. Though one molly fish activity is slowed down. It just swim like floating. Not much movement

What about ammonia? If you're using test strips they're less accurate and don't check for ammonia, would recommend getting the API freshwater master test kit.

I agree with the previous comments. Balloon Mollies however cute they are, are so interbred they are extremely weak fish. I have never had one last more than a few months, they seem to die from swim bladder problems.

And not to be a Debbie Downer, but a 10 gal. is too small of a tank. A larger tank gives fish more room to swim and I have found it is easier to keep clean...just my opinion

Back
Top Bottom