One more ich question.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NascarPaul

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I thought I was getting the ich controlled in my tank.Only 1 molly had it....and its spots were decreasing in number...then this morning bam,3 more had it.I had raised my temp...but my heater would only attain 84 degrees...i was using rid-ich+ before i read the water/salt method,my question is should i continue with the rid-ich+ and raise my temp to the max it will heat to and add 1 teaspoon of salt per 5 gal?I was kinda surprised to see the others with the ich,and Very depressed as well.Dont want it to take any more of my fish,lost an iridescent shark to it last week.Tia for any advice to cure this hard to kill problem,
Paul

84 degrees is ok. Keep it here. However, be sure to leave the heater at this temperature for at least
7-10 days. A higher temperature speeds the ich cycle, and the free-floating phase will be fast reached.
It is ONLY at this stage that medication is working. So keep on with the T and keep on with the medication.

Make sure to clean the gravel thoroughly at the end of the medication to get rid of some cysts. Change at the end of the medication 40% of water. Make sure that no new carbon is present.

So keep the temp as high as my heater allows and keep with the med right?The bottle says for tough situations I can increase the dosage to twice a day....should I?
Tia ,
Paul

I'd say "do not increase the dosage". Fishes do not like medication too. And some fishes do not like
being in too hot a temperature too. So let us not add too much stress. Btw, I would remove the 2 water
frogs if tthey are in the tank with ich problems. Also, what is a "neon glass cat"? I guess this is a catfish.
Glass means transparent I guess, but what about neon? Is it genetically modified? Catfishes do not respond
well to medications.

Its a glass cat with a neon strip down its top.The frogs havent shown any signs at all.....they have been in the tank the longest.They are african dwarf frogs btw.I have another 10 gal that seems to be doing great.Do I quarantine the frogs?thanks for all the advice,
Paul

OK. Glass catfishes are schooling fish... Not the problem here, but it should be kept with 3-5 of his/her camrades. The neon stripe is, I think, a paint or genetic modification, not natural.

Frogs will not show ich, I think (may be wrong though). I am also unsure how well they will respond to a treatment since they have no scales (scaleless fish such as catfishes respond badly to some treatment, especially for ich).

My suggestion is to move the frogs in the other tank, but keep the glass catfish where it is.

I would read Allivymar's article on ich!!! I did the heat and salt and it worked wonderfully !!!

Back
Top Bottom