One more PH/KH CO2 Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hulka9

Aquarium Advice Freak
I think I have the process down to calculate my co2. I read the article on here about using the formula 3*dkH*10^(7-PH) to calculate the ppm of co2 in my tank. After an hour of my co2 setup at 5bps my pH dropped rapidly from 7 to 6.4. My hardness was 2dKH. So with the formula I got around 23ppm co2. I was shooting for around 30. Tested it another hour later and my ph was 6.2 making my ppm around 35. I noticed a shrimp died (not sure if it was ph or co2 or another reason. Other shrimp were acting normal) and one of my fish was acting funny so I turned off the CO2 and redirected my outflow spray bar to make more surface aggitation.

Im going to try doing just 1bpm tomorrow to see if the ph will drop slower. The rate it dropped scared me a bit.

Even with the CO2 at high levels i still dont have any plants pearling which is frustrating. Any suggestions?

Am I right to want around 30 ppm?

Tanks specs:
29G
Eco complete substrate
Eheim 2213 filter
Dual bulb T5HO 6700K and 10000K
14" Aquasun LED HO w/ plant modules

Plants:
Water sprite
Sunset crypt
Nesae crassiaculis
Staurogyne repens
Ammania
Ludwigia cuba
Another type of crypt
Temple plant
Java moss
Banana plant

Fish:
5 peppered cory
3 swordtail
2 GBR
11 neon tetra
2 RCS
3 amano shrimp

Your water is super soft same as mine. With injected CO2 this makes for the issue of large pH swings. You are doing the best thing by watching your fish and shrimp behavior. Kudos to you for that. Kh to pH charts and even drop checkers are approximate indicators at best. Unfortunately, they're the best we have unless we want to spend a fortune on laboratory grade test equipment. Shrimp need a higher Kh also. IME you need a Kh of at least 4, with 6-8 being better for shrimp and for CO2/pH management. I have used baking soda to raise Kh/pH but it's risky and unnatural. One teaspoon to 25g raises Kh by 2 degrees. Never add more than that per 24hrs. A MUCH better method to raise Kh is to make up a packet of crushed coral and put in or at the outflow of your filter. There are many online articles about how to use coral. The increased Kh will keep your pH from swinging down so much and allow more CO2 concentration. Keep watching your livestock's reactions as you determine dosage though. Hope this helps. OS.

Back
Top Bottom