One of my fish doesnt eat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddp_58

Aquarium Advice Regular
So one of my fish barely eats while all the other eat pretty well. When I put food 4 of the 5 fish eat very rapidly while that one just comes out of its hiding but does not go to the surface. Sometimes if the food sinks down then he eats it. Sometimes he just comes out to eat when all the other fishes swim away, but by then there is no food left. And when I put more food the other fishes just come and eat it while that one fish goes back into hiding. Is this due to aggression? Any tips?
I have 4 Glofish tetras and a skirt tetra. I don’t know the gender of them and the store people didn’t know the gender either.

So one of my fish barely eats while all the other eat pretty well. When I put food 4 of the 5 fish eat very rapidly while that one just comes out of its hiding but does not go to the surface. Sometimes if the food sinks down then he eats it. Sometimes he just comes out to eat when all the other fishes swim away, but by then there is no food left. And when I put more food the other fishes just come and eat it while that one fish goes back into hiding. Is this due to aggression? Any tips?
I have 4 Glofish tetras and a skirt tetra. I don’t know the gender of them and the store people didn’t know the gender either.

Try to feed he alone, and don't over feed for other fishes.
When he comes out, you can feed 2-3 pieces food for him.

It does sound like maybe an aggression/bullying issue.

Is the fish noticeably malnourished? You may have to move it to another tank or depending on the type of fish, sometimes adding more of the same type to the school can help stop the aggression

Ok so today I noticed that the fin of the fish that doesn’t eat looks like this. Anyone know why it’s like this?

Attachments

• 0061CBA9-038C-4A8F-85C1-470AE21B1CAE.jpg
    0061CBA9-038C-4A8F-85C1-470AE21B1CAE.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 21
Ok so what can I do now? Any tips? Will it heal by itself?

It should sort itself out with clean water and a stress free environment. If it continues to be bullied, then it may not. Can you isolate the fish for a couple of weeks?

Yea sure looks like it has been getting bullied and had its fin nipped.

Best thing would be to move it to another tank but that isn’t always an option. A tank divider would allow the fish some reprieve from its bully while it heals and allow it to eat properly. But ultimately you may need to remove it or it’s aggressor from the tank if they continue to have issues.

I have never seen any other fish bully it. It normally just hides behind the decor, but it could have happened overnight.

I’d almost place money on it being bullied. There’s no other logical reason for it to have fin damage and be hiding all the time and be scared to go out and eat.

Hiding behind rocks, decor and not eating is never a good sign. The fish is stressed, sick or picked on. Perhaps it's a new fish? If so, then it just needs time to acclimate to the surroundings.

How about to set a decoration tree trunk for it to have a rest space? like this small fish tree trunk which can help small fish to pressure less, I got it for my guppy and it very happy.

Back
Top Bottom