One or two minutes of feeding time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Komodo

Aquarium Advice Activist
I read in some places that you know how much to feed by making sure the fish eat all their food in one minute, others say two minutes. Is it one or two?

Depends on the fish... depends on the size... I have also heard 5 minutes...

I personally go by my phosphate level in my tank, if it is high I am feeding to much. If it is low I'm good...

Anyone else?

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I feed a little and watch that the fish eagerly eat it all. Then add a little more. If they aren't that interested then the first amount is sufficient. Better to under feed than over feed but you very quickly get the measure of your fishes needs.
I don't think the timing thing is the way to go. Little at a time is my method.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I feed a little and watch that the fish eagerly eat it all. Then add a little more. If they aren't that interested then the first amount is sufficient. Better to under feed than over feed but you very quickly get the measure of your fishes needs.
I don't think the timing thing is the way to go. Little at a time is my method.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

+1... this is how i feed my central american cichlids. More harm can be done over feeding than under feeding. As long as all your fish are getting food, you're good.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's neither one minute nor two minutes. It all depends on the fish you keep - how quickly they eat. I have some fish that don't come out to eat for a few minutes so obviously feedings are much longer in duration. I also have some fish that are super glutinous so some over feeding is necessary to make sure they all get their share. In such situations it's imperative to feed high quality foods that won't bind the fish up with digestive issues. Never once had a digestive problem feeding NLS and my fish eat till they are full at every meal.

The real answer - look at the fish. IMO they should look like they've eaten after being fed, with plump little bellies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom