Online Aquarium Show!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Would you watch such a show?

• Absolutely!

Votes: 18 72.0%
  • If it's good enough...

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Maybe I will, maybe I won't...

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • I don't think so!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No chance!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

fishfanforfun

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everybody,

I'm a producer for an emmy-award winning company. I'm currently working on a show about pet fishes and aquariums. The show would probably be some kind of travel show, with a host (who is also a fish expert) traveling around the country to meet aquarium owners and simply talk to them about their aquarium and their fishes.

The goal is to have great footage of those aquariums and fishes! I've found that it's impossible to find, on TV or on the Internet, good quality videos. Except for amateur stuff on youtube, there's almost nothing!
We'd also provide advice and information about all kind of fishes, how to take care of them and of your tank, etc, etc.

I'm posting here to you to get some advice! I haven't been into the hobby for a long time, and you guys obviously know a lot. What do you think of such a show? Would you watch it?

Right now we're thinking of putting it online, for free! We'd advertise in different websites and/or magazines, hobbyist could just click and watch whenever they want.

Do you think there could be some enthusiasm for our show? Once again, I want to point out that we want to make a really good quality-show. Great equipment (probably HD), great experts, really interesting content.

I'd really appreciate any advice you guys have. As I said, we're just preparing for the show now, and I want to make sure we'll reach the right people, and, well, that it will be interesting for everybody!

So let's start a discussion on this! I'm open to any comment and ideas!

Thanks!
Ben.

Hey Ben, I think this is a terrific idea and I would definitely watch it. IMO the real experts are those that spawn fish commercially. A show on that topic would be very interesting.

A show featuring home aquarists would also be interesting. How to, and what's the cost should be included.

I'm sure the expert stuff would get a lot of interest, but I'm thinking that the average hobbyist perspective would get a lot of attention too. Maybe even more IMO.

Awesome, maybe a piece on DIY with each show.

Hi Ben! I think that an aquarium-focused pet show is a great idea and I would definitely watch it.

Is there a demand for such a show? I think so. Most pet owners started out with fish and the aquarium hobby is thriving. There are several pet shows out there, but the vast majority of them are solely about cats and dogs. A few focus on more exotic pets like ferrets, macaws, and reptiles, but fish are generally ignored.

I would be interested in watching how wild tropical fish are captured and transported to market. A show covering commercial breeding operations would also be interesting. I think that shows showcasing hobbyist fishrooms and public aquariums would also generate interest. I belong to a local aquarium society where guest speakers present slideshows describing their trips to the tropics to catch wild fish for their breeding tanks. Members sometimes give slide presentations about their fishrooms, breeding successes, and planted tanks. These topics would be very interesting on video.

I found the following link to a program called The Petshop with Marc Morrone. Check out the Fish 101 video. I suspect that this is something along the lines that you want to do?
Lifeskool : Free online video and expert advice

I second that. I think that would be awesome to have that online. I would watch them all the time. You have my vote!

Regards,

Mike

One more thing. I think having a show or videos would also help educate enthusists around the world.

Mike

Everything that's already been suggested, I second them and under these conditions, I'd watch. I'm sure there are heaps of people like me who know a little and would like to know a lot.

That would be wonderful. I know that not many people think about owning an aquarium until they see a friend's or family member's. I think the show would be a hit, just like "1,000 Places to see before you die." Also, if it was in HD... *sigh* that would be amazing!

First of all I want to thank everybody for their comments and suggestions. This has been really really helpful.

I want to say a little bit more about us. We're a small production company. Not a major hollywood studio or network. We like to do things right and do them well...

This is why I'm here talking to you guys!
All the information that will be provided on the show will be correct. The host will be knowledgeable, but let the guests and experts do most of the talking

I'd like to ask you about the "expert level" of the show.
Would you watch it if it covered only beginners stuff? Would you if it was only expert stuff (including expensive set-ups most of us can't afford)?

Or would you be bored by always "somewhere in the middle" tank and the information that relates to that?

I have to point that our episodes will be short: 3 to 5 minutes each! This will enable us to create lots of them, meet a lot of different people with different tanks, and talk about a lot of subjects.

So what do you think?
Keep the ideas flowing, I love it! And we want you guys to be part of the show as much as we are!

Ben.

I would think you would need a variety of different levels. A show or two for the beginners mostly somewhere in the middle stuff but it was also be nice to see those crazy elaborate set ups as well. we may not be able to afford them but i know i would still like to pretend ever once and a while. haha.

I agree with pat I think we could benifit from the begginer to moderate tank stuff but could also pick up Ideas from the advanced expensive tank give us something to strive for.:drool:

Many people in this hobby, myself included, end up with multiple tanks. MTS or multiple tank syndrome is addicting. I think different levels of expertise would be great. It may promote people to get more tanks, try different types of tanks and wish and hope for those incredible amazing tanks we all dream of having.

haha my brother started with one tank now me and my mom both have tanks and my brother is on his second. It amazing how this hobby seems to spread its self. I can tell you for sure if i had the money my whole place would probably be filled with tanks

Back
Top Bottom