oops!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mazie51109

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was shopping with my grandmother the other day and she wanted to get some live plants so i could aquascape for her. We picked some out and when we got home, i put them in her tank. It waasnt until about an hour later while i was looking at the box the plant came in that i realized it was intended for use in terrariums. It said that the top must stay above water. Its ahout a week later and the plant seems to be doing fine... but will it hurt the fish? I believe it was a peacock fern.

It will eventually rot away, but you can leave it in place until you see signs of decay. Shouldn't hurt the fish.

It just happened to me with those tube plants. I bought two that were marked aquatic but when I got home and looked them up they were not fully aquatic so I took them back the next day. It also happened another time when I bought plants out of a plant specific tank. Once I really looked at what all I got I realized one was a houseplant. It lasted for awhile then slowly started to decay. If you have a fishbowl you can put some substrate in the bottom, gravel, dirt whatever and then place the plant in there with some water and some fertilizer and then cover with plastic wrap and you will have a mini-terrarium for your plant.

Yeah, it was a tube plant from petsmart! Thats a really good idea... maybe ill try it.
I thought I might add that those tube plants are NOT snail free, as described on the tube. Many years ago I bought a few tubbed java ferns and threw them into a brand new betta tank, only to find several snails on the glass pane just weeks later.

David

Back
Top Bottom