Open to suggestions on a 2.5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FastFly67

Aquarium Advice FINatic
img_965792_0_f2a6e30849d330057ae900b3f537e2b7.jpg

this is what I've got so far. there's a little bit of moneywort in the back corner and some hornwort floating. 23w sprical CFL with a 2700k rating. i've got a peice of driftwood i can put in there (and obviously the pot is going to come out but it's porky's hiding spot for right now)
the driftwood
attachment.php

black sand substrate and some purple/clear "gems" from the old tank
most every plant i have is just too big for this tank.
give me some suggestions on plants / layout etc

oky doky
2700k isnt warm enough to grow plants. you should upgrade that to at least 6500k. i would put a betta in (im guessing thats who porky is :p). you could add some anubias petite, java fern, maybe some java moss, you could put a few small hygro stems in there and they will grow out of the surface of the water (looks cool). but mostly just upgrade that light to anything around the 6500-10000k temperature. :D

oky doky
2700k isnt warm enough to grow plants. you should upgrade that to at least 6500k. i would put a betta in (im guessing thats who porky is :p). you could add some anubias petite, java fern, maybe some java moss, you could put a few small hygro stems in there and they will grow out of the surface of the water (looks cool). but mostly just upgrade that light to anything around the 6500-10000k temperature. :D
yeah, i already noticed that. i'll pick up new bulbs tomorrow.
porky is already in there, he's hiding back by the heater in the pic.
i've got some java moss in another tank, just waiting for it to grow out a little big more. i was planning on the anubias petite, i just don't want any plant too huge to overwhelm the tank

The anubias petite would be great in a little tank like that. It's a cute plant.

The java fern will get big. I'd put it in the back, ittl look good there. It is a hardy plant and will be easier to grow in such a little tank. It is doing great in my 5 gal hex. If you do get the driftwood, you could attach the java fern to the driftwood.

Try cutting the pot in half. It makes a great "home base" Cut it like this and lay it down like you had it. It will take up less room and still provide the benefits of a hiding spot. I almost did this for my 5 gal, but I got an oversized castle instead.

Attachments

• 1191_p.jpg
    1191_p.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 113
I 2nd the Anubias nana 'petite' idea. :) Its a nice little nano tank plant. Hemianthus micranthemoides (HM) is a good one too...nice small leaves and should grow under that light (23 watts). You shouldn't have too many problems finding a 6500K bulb.

I 2nd the Anubias nana 'petite' idea. :) Its a nice little nano tank plant. Hemianthus micranthemoides (HM) is a good one too...nice small leaves and should grow under that light (23 watts). You shouldn't have too many problems finding a 6500K bulb.
hmmm, i like that. thanks!

Lilaeopsis! (I think I spelled that wrong). I will ship u a bit of it and some anubias nano petite if u want. The lilaeopsis will need the higher color temp to grow though.

Lilaeopsis! (I think I spelled that wrong). I will ship u a bit of it and some anubias nano petite if u want. The lilaeopsis will need the higher color temp to grow though.
:luv:
PM your paypal address and how much you want and i'll send you the money tomorrow after work
i'ma get the higher temp bulb tomorrow after work

The best thing ever is the totally cool algae named Japanese Moss Balls, also known as marimos. They don't take over tanks like Java Moss, and are compact. Their scientific name is Aegrophila linnaei. Most commercially-available shrimp love them, so if you're planning on getting a couple of ghost or amano shrimp for your 2.5, be sure to put in a Japanese Moss Ball. It's a lovely looking alga, so I highly recommend you try and get your hands on a Japanese Moss Ball.

Maybe some micro chain sword for the mid ground and some marsilea minuta for the foreground plants then for the back ground plants small crypts or some type of najas. Add a few anubia petite. Instead of plain java moss some christmas moss would be nice on your driftwood.

Back
Top Bottom