Open topped Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zebedee99

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I have recently bought from a friend a 30cms x 30cms x 35cms open topped tank and is going to be used for dwarf puffers. I am asking if anyone knows what setting to have the heater on which is housed in a separate compartment along with the filter system to get as much as I can a constant temperature?
If I have done this properly a photo of my tank should be included and also how many puffers will it comfortably hold for the little guys. If all goes well with this first ever Puffer Project I shall upgrade to my 3ftx1ftx1ft.
Any other help,advice etc on 1st Puffer project is also welcomed.
I live in Bristol in the UK and have managed to get round the problem of getting Snails that are food for the Puffers as it's illegal in the U.K. and luckily thanks to a live plant with Snails already on a quick but steady Snail population is appearing!!!
Finally,Sand or Gravel and I also have Aquarium soil that I am thinking of putting under the substrate and trying my hand at live planted tank.......so far I have always bought fake silk aquarium plants. However,I don't want to go the full co2 and special lighting option.Image1490525367.286032.jpgImage1490525399.695342.jpg

76°

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you I have also noticed and have to pay attention to the water levels I have always had and have much bigger tanks and Fx5 cannnisters!! Lol

Yah.. I use glass tops on my fresh tanks to curb evap, ato on my sw. Your top may be better off in the oven.. pufs arnt jumping, is worry about rust/corrosion. You can get a piece of acrylic and cut it to sit. May not look stellar but it will work

Yah.. I use glass tops on my fresh tanks to curb evap, ato on my sw. Your top may be better off in the oven.. pufs arnt jumping, is worry about rust/corrosion. You can get a piece of acrylic and cut it to sit. May not look stellar but it will work

lol I had just put that metal rack on top just to deter my cats lol it's worked and is coming off tomorrow lol it wasn't a permanent feature.[emoji23][emoji846]

But thanks for the cover tip,I have some spare Perspex somewhere that might be an option. And set the heater at 24.5c did u say?

What is this law on snails and puffer fish in the uk?
I'm only up the road from Bristol. (Happens to be the M4 but hey ho!)
Buckinghamshire boy!

I've always fed my puffers snails! Normally I have another tank for snails and fish. Just avoid those pesky trumpet snails!
Have a good stock of bloodworm too, just incase of a snail shortage!

Good flow from the filter will help with temperature, and should ensure no stratification.
Unless water top ups or the room temp is vastly different. You should have no problem

P.s. Be careful with a tank full of snails, the puffer will just keep eating, and eating. Then it may just start biting lumps out of snails as it sees them.

Back
Top Bottom