Opinion in cycling process?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aromero2010

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
image-2162097122.jpg

In doing a fish cycle in a 75 gal with 10 pearl danios, been cycling for about 6 days. Well my question is how much long till I can stock my tank?

You are smart to stock a big tank with a small amount of smaller fish.

Have the test values ever gone up yet? Testing daily?

Been testing it about every other day ammonia nor nitrites ever really got above .50 but they have gone down from where they where. Yea I thought that seemed right cause the guy at the pet shop insisted of me cycling my tank with GOLDFISH and he said I needed about 30 for my size tank!

My personal opinion is to keep waiting. I usually wait almost a month, testing daily, to every other day after the first fish are put in.

After that, slowly start stocking. More fish every other week until I've reached my preferred fish levels. But that's just me. I never go whole hog right away like some do. It's just too risky to then spike with a big load and have a kill off.

Oh alright, but yea I've heard ppl say thAt u can go head and stock your tank when you see nitrates?

When ammonia and nitrItes stay at zero without you having to to water changes and nitrAtes are steadily rising, the tank is cycled. Then you can slowly add more fish every week or so.

Alright thank you! I was thinking another week or 2 for me to start stocking it. But I'm guessing the time can vary?

Currently you've been fish in cycling for 6 days.

This process can take as long as 2 months.

When Ammonia test is zero , yellow.
And when Nitrite test is Zero , Blue.
Nitrates should begin to slowly increase.

At this point the beneficial bacteria can handle the bioload of your existing fish.

This is when you slowly add more fish.

Jon

Thanks a lot guys! Yea my first tank (45 gallon) I stocked it without cycling and out of 6 fish only one lived.! So I wanted to make sure I did research for my 2nd tank.!

As you can see, the common theme between all of us giving advice is to stock slowly after things normalize in the cycle. ;)

Back
Top Bottom