Opinion on power heads?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreamroper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 36 gallon bow front with a HOB filter. I have a power head running but have it pointed to the back. I thought it would help with any "dead" spots regarding circulation. All of my plants are growing and fish doing well, but I was wondering about opinions regarding power heads in planted aquariums. I was concerned about it removing CO2. I don't use a CO2 system, just add a little excel.
Thanks-D

Not to be impolite and jump in here but what type of power heads do you use? I have two significant dead spots in my 29 and I believe the addition of a few powerheads would help.

Not to be impolite and jump in here but what type of power heads do you use? I have two significant dead spots in my 29 and I believe the addition of a few powerheads would help.

I have a Penguin head right now that puts through 300 gpm, but my boyfriend cut off 3 of the fins on the impeller to cut down on the flow-it was too strong. I ordered a 140Penguin from Amazon yesterday. It really helps cut down on the plant debris floating around. I was concerned because I had read that the plants need CO2 and the power heads will take the CO2 out of the tank. As I had mentioned before, I'm adding excel which I guess is a liquid supplement of CO2 for the plants. I'm still learning since this is my first planted tank, but the power head really seems to help. I make sure that it doesn't produce a strong current within the tank, but just helps circulation. Sorry for the long post.....

I like the Nano Koralia 240gph. I use them in my 220g and they put just enough current without blowing the plants away.

Back
Top Bottom