Opinions needed on a protein skimmer and live rock.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clown Monarch

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My tank (125) has been running for about 2 weeks now. Contents: 2 corals, 4 small fish, a few crabs, and about 80 lbs of live rock.

I'm gonna be needing a protein skimmer soon. I would rather ditch the wet/dry if I can, add another 40 lbs or so of live rock and use a hang-on protein skimmer (or external if one exists).

The problem is that I have VERY little room behind the tank - 3 inches maybe. The skimmer will have to be on the side of the tank (I've already cut out part of the hood to fit a HOT magnum that hopefully a skimmer will fit into), so the width of the unit is important.

What brand of skimmer would you buy?

I remember some here raving about an online live rock supplier. Who was it?

and...

How would I hook up a PH to a UV sterilizer - with the PH on the intake pushing the water through or with the PH on the outlet pulling the water through? Would you necessarily run a UV sterilizer?

The UV isn't needed and would be a waste of money IMO.

I don't know of any HOB skimmer that would be effective on a 125. Do you have a sump?

The only HOB skimmer I would even consider for a 125 would be an Aqua C Remora Pro with a Mag 3 pump. The HOB version of the Turboflotor would handle the job, but I think you'll have space issues with it.

loganj said:
The only HOB skimmer I would even consider for a 125 would be an Aqua C Remora Pro with a Mag 3 pump. The HOB version of the Turboflotor would handle the job, but I think you'll have space issues with it.

Interesting you should mention the Remora Pro - that's the exact one I was pricing online. The UV came with the tank otherwise I probably wouldn't have it.

You should hook the UV sterilizer up so that the PH is pushing water through it, and if possible have the output of the UV higher than the input, this insures that there will be a slight pressure built up, which will minimize air traps. This is ideal for two reasons, first, it's not good for the quartz sleeve to get to hot, which it can without water touching it, and two, the more water the more UV actually hits the water.

HTH, Joshua...

Actually, you don't want to run the UV at a high flow. If the unit is properly oriented, there won't be a problem with air pockets. The problem you run into, especially with the smaller units, is exposure time. Bacteria and parasites will survive the UV if they don't receive a lethal dose. This means a fairly slow flow to be sure all organisms that pass through are killed.

What about an in-sump skimmer for your sump? that should work well for you. Plus I dont think you will be able to fit anything else into a 3 inch gap.

I should have read your post more closely. An external skimmer or an in sump model would be better than an HOB. If it's in the budget, I'd look at keeping the wet/dry as a sump (no media) and running an Aqua C EV 180 externally. Depending on how large your sump is, you might be able to use the Aqua C in sump. A EuroReef or ASM would be a good in sump option as well.

loganj said:
Actually, you don't want to run the UV at a high flow. If the unit is properly oriented, there won't be a problem with air pockets. The problem you run into, especially with the smaller units, is exposure time. Bacteria and parasites will survive the UV if they don't receive a lethal dose. This means a fairly slow flow to be sure all organisms that pass through are killed.

I didn't say anything about a high flow rate, just slight pressure to ensure that optimum exposure is achieved???? Sorry If I wasn't clear on that!!!

Actually, I decided to set up the wet/dry this weekend and hooked up the skimmer (It's just a plain tube skimmer that hangs on the sump and looks like it could very well be home-made). It seemed to work very well and produced gobs of dirty foam all day long. I may just stick with the wet/dry - it'll save me some bucks.

The input hose is presently running through the UV, but I'll probably only use it if I need to.

I have a 125 gal tank also. I have 3 CPR BackPacks and 2 Fluval 404s --I should point out that I also have app 130lbs of live rock. My tank has been set up for about 2 months and so far all is going well. I really like the BackPacks but have some issues with the Fluvals. Good luck --jd

Back
Top Bottom