Opinions on discus and gbr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Perfect, as long as the gbr are a decent size. They both appreciate very similar parameters..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

perfect as long as German blue Rams aren't breeding.. they'll get to aggressive for the discus if they do

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

perfect as long as German blue Rams aren't breeding.. they'll get to aggressive for the discus if they do

I would have to disagree, they aren't that aggressive when spawning(more bluff charges than anything). I've seen people keep some species of apistogramma with discus and they are more aggressive when defending spawns.

I'm not too sure about housing anything with juveniles though. I'm not sure how well they handle even the slightest bit of stress from something outside of there group.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Should be great! They like similar parameters and tank style. They could go in either tank size. The rams could freak out the skittish discus if they spawn though. Sorry for bad grammar, using an iPad keyboard.

~ExoticAquarist, signing out

Add a dozen Cardinals and that'll spread the breeding aggression and take some of the heat off of the discus.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Add a dozen Cardinals and that'll spread the breeding aggression and take some of the heat off of the discus.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Discus are known to eat cardinals/neons

That's only youngsters. I saw a video where a baby discus experimenting with food ate a rummynose. The rest of the school, about a hundred strong!, swirled around the things like a kid disturbing a nest of hornets. Poor discus...

That's only youngsters. I saw a video where a baby discus experimenting with food ate a rummynose. The rest of the school, about a hundred strong!, swirled around the things like a kid disturbing a nest of hornets. Poor discus...

No, it most certainly is not just young discus... Adults are more likely to do it....

Well, everybody's entitles to their own opinions I guess. Never actually seen it happen though.

Think about it. Bigger the discus bigger the mouth.

Well, everybody's entitles to their own opinions I guess. Never actually seen it happen though.

Fact is not opinion. Adult discus are known to eat cardinals/neons in an aquarium setting...

Yes, I screwed up my wording. It's hard to transfer logical thoughts from your mind to a keyboard. They ARE known to eat small fish in an aquarium setting. It is just not very common.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Yes, I screwed up my wording. It's hard to transfer logical thoughts from your mind to a keyboard. They ARE known to eat small fish in an aquarium setting. It is just not very common.

Where are you getting this "not common" thing from? It happens quite frequently

Boy am I late... i wish I had the thread still relevant, this dude in tpt made this incredible tank.. epic. . He stocked discus and cardinals.. at one point he touched on the fact that the Cardinals had to be restocked monthly as they were more a snack than focal point;) I'd personally use well fed rummynose tetras..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If they "ARE KNOWN" to do something, then it's considered to be very commonplace. I think you need to do a little more research and separate fact from fiction.

Where are you getting this "not common" thing from? It happens quite frequently

Absolutely. Yes it does !!!!

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Hmm. Never heard if it 'cept for here. Thanks for letting me know! Maybe that's why I pretty much only see discus with bleeding hearts an diamonds and tetras like that. Rummynoses are kinda small though aren't they? Bigger than cardinals but small.

Hmm. Never heard if it 'cept for here. Thanks for letting me know! Maybe that's why I pretty much only see discus with bleeding hearts an diamonds and tetras like that. Rummynoses are kinda small though aren't they? Bigger than cardinals but small.

Search "discus eating neons" and you'll find plenty of threads in plenty of forums. Watching discus at a fish store is not real experience with the fish...

Back
Top Bottom