Opinions on FW Nano Aquarium Stock Ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReyK

Aquarium Advice Regular
I’ve kept Nano tanks off and on since I was about ten years old, and I’ve heard a lot of different opinions on what kind of fish/inverts are suitable for tanks ten gallons or less, and I want to hear more opinions.

I recently acquired a new 5.5 gallon Topfin starter kit and a used Marineland Eclipse 6 gallon tank from my sister (this one is just the tank, lighted hood, and some substrate; I plan on getting a new heater and filter for it soon) and I’m curious as to what y’all think stocking options are for them.

Now, I’ve heard from many sources that the only things suitable for such tiny tanks are African Dwarf Frogs, several types of snails and shrimp, and of course Betta fish, but I’ve also seen many videos and articles about things like rasboras, guppies, endlers, mollies, platies, pea puffers, and a few others I can’t think of at the moment that people claim go well in these small tanks.

What are your thoughts on these types of tanks? What critters would you be comfortable with putting in them? Why do you like/dislike them?

A little disclaimer/keeper background: all my tanks are heated for tropical fish (74-80 degrees Fahrenheit), and lightly to moderately planted (I’m not a big fan of plastic plants, but I have a few decor pieces with fakes on them). I do 10-30% water changes bi-weekly and use a gravel vacuum to clean substrate when I do so. I’ve got a 20 gallon community tank with guppies, gouramis, kuhli loaches, and a pleco; a 10 gallon betta sorority tank with 4 females and a small school of harlequin rasboras; a 2.5 gallon male betta tank; and a 1.5 male betta tank with a chocolate shrimp and a few amanos. I’m thinking I’m going to transfer the stock from the 2.5 and 1.5 to the new tanks, but I’m not sure yet. I know some would say my tanks are heavily or over stocked, but I keep a close eye on them and maintain them well in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom