Opinions on my test results

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trackfast

Aquarium Advice Freak
I did a test today after having a raw shrimp in the tanks for the last three days. I think I am in the middle of the cycle and I just need to give it time. I not going to do any PWC but I was thinking about removing the shrimp.

pH - 8.2
ammonia - 1.0
nitrites - 0
nitrates - 10

Is there anything else that would be recommended?

Thanks for your input! :)

IMO you can remove the shrimp since you have some ammonia.

The ammonia will drop then the nitrites will go up, then they will drop and nitrates will go up. That is the point I would do a PWC.

You don't have to get the ammonia super high to cycle, 1.0 should be high enough.

some people here suggest u shud maintain 1-4ppm ammonia...since u already have amonia and nitrate reading then it shud be okay to remove the shrimp....lets the water cycle for 3-5days and test the water again....if the ammonia reading =0 then do large PWC...i believe u already some article about this.....

pH doesn't need to be tested during the cycle. Strange that you have nitrates but no nitrites. Did you use tap water to fill the tank?

Keep testing ammonia and nitrite, looking for ammonia to fall and nitrite to rise, then add the nitrate test back looking for that to rise as nitrites fall.

When ammonia and nitrites are 0 you can do a 30% water change, and check the tank again in a week. You can also add a pinch of food to make sure the bacteria population is sufficient to handle a bio load.

Cmor,thank you for the info. I am using tap water to fill the tank; I know that RO/DI units are highly recommended. I did check the water supply report for my area and I'm comfortable with using tap water. I also live in newer housing so I'm not worried about old galvanized water supply lines. Thanks again for the tips.

Test your tap water for nitrates and phosphates.
The test report you see is a "point in time" report, not what is coming out of the tap today.

Thanks again, Cmor. This is actually my second test of the water. The first test had zeros for everything. I'm guessing that the "10" is a result of some cycling going on; I did start with LR and LS.

I would still be concerned about using tap water. I work for a large water municipality. It is supposed to be one of the top three in the country and I would not use it in my reef. They use nitrates and phosphates as well as chlorine and silicates. Many other heavy metals that when completed are OK for us humans but not for our reefs. An RO/DI is a must for a SW tank esp. a reef.

Thank you Mike for the info. I know I said I was comfortable using tap water but I have also been pricing RO/DI units. lol Any recommendations from anyone?:D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom