Opinions on new fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NYYFan19801

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I'm thinking of adding 2 or 3 new fish to my 29 gallon planted soon, currently I have a tiger barb, 2 mollies, cory catfish, 2 glofish, a mystery snail, a red tail shark, an albino frog, and 3 black phantom tetras. I really like fish that stay in "schools" like the glofish and tetras. I know my options are somewhat limited b/c the tiger barb doesn't get along with everybody. But my plants are tanking over my tank now and I never see my fish!

If you are going to add more fish, get more tiger barbs, they are also a schooling fish.

Some people report less aggression from TBs when they are kept in large schools.

so are the cories glofish and phantom tetras as well. maybe take back some of the others and keep a larger school of the others.

red tail shark will most likely be a problem later on as well.

I agree..add to your current schools before even thinking of getting anything else. Groups of no less than four are very recommended to keep schooling fish comfortable and happy. The first place to start IMO would be with the Tiger barb. Tiger barbs can be agressive when not kept in a large group. Also, your red tailed shark can get up to 4-6inches and may not be a great fit for your tank especially since it can become territorial as it grows. How many cories do you currently have?

An ideal stocking for your tank with your current fish might be:
5 tiger barbs
2 mollies
3 cory
3 glofish
4 black phantom tetras
1 red tail shark

Thanks guys. I was thinking more barbs as well as I remember reading they are better with other ones around. Didn't realize the red tails got that big! Currently I have just 1 cory. I would like to get more algae eaters, someone in my tank ate one of my snails so all I have is one snail. I know cories and mollies eat algae to some extent but I'd like to get some more.

Back
Top Bottom