Opinions Welcome!! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NiGeR1986

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok got a lil dilema that goes through my head everyone morning when i wake up and feed my beautiful fish there 5-star breakfast, then it continues as i go into work and see all the beautiful invertebrates and crustacions (SP?) Here it is. Right now i have a 55 gallon FOWLR tank. In it currently i have a Niger trigger, Blue Throat Trigger, 4 Damsels, Scopus tang, Snowflake, Cream Angel, Tomatoe Clown. I want to be able to keep urchins, crabs starfish snails anenomies all that good stuff. Not so much Corals. Not in this tank. I will do that in the future on a diff project. But for now this is all i got. I know to be able to add these lil fellows i will DEF need to get rid of Snowflake, Niger, n Blue Throat. well Snowflake is going back tomorrow while i still can get my 100% back cause the lil punk keeps jumping out..lol. But there is no way in Heck I can get rid of Niger i mean its my fav fish of all time. So what should i do guys??? Keep my tank the way it is, and keep adding some more LR. And just get maybe a 14 or so BioCube? then have that as my invertebrate tank with some lil clowns or psuedochromis's? U guys let me know. I have a beautful Niger too, i know that they are easy to get in at our store, but i really take to my fish, i know some ppl feel that they are disposable, but not me? SOO CONFUSED..NEED UR HELP:bowl:

Way to many fish in a 55 gallon.
Cream angel and trigger rated 70 gallon min.

Get a bigger tank. I hop you have a skimmer?

there completely fine in my tank. saltwaterfish.com rated 55 for angel. its all preference, and the size of the fish

But there is no way in Heck I can get rid of Niger i mean its my fav fish of all time. So what should i do guys???
I think you answered your own question. You know you can't have inverts with the niger trigger. I assume you also know that trigger can get to be 12" long, which is the width of your tank from front to back. Maybe a little cramped for that fish?

Well, saltwaterfish.com also says a certain tang gets to be 1-3 inches, when in reality, it get to grow to about a foot......
Blue Hippo Tang (Paracanthurus hepatus)

as opposed to this:
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Blue Tang

I think they are a little misinformed.
The triggers, tang and Angel all need at least a 70G tank.
How long has it been up and running?
You are at 46 inches of adult fish in a 55G, not including the damsels. Unfortunately, you may start having issues in the near future if you don't upgrade that tank or take some of the poor fish back.

If removing some of the fish into another tank is the only way of getting some out of the 55 then you`ll need to do so. That`s a large bioload for that size tank. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

I understand, but you gotta remember that the fact of fish grow to the size of their environment. Ive had a niger in a 29 for 4 years before, and never grew bigger than a medium. So your telling me that Im going to wake up one day and my Niger is going to be a foot long?? LOL, I dont think that will happen. My niger is 3 inches long, and yea if he grew to be too large for my aquarium i have a 90 gallon setting up right now. Obv if he got too big i would take him back, you guys are acting like i would just leave him in there to die cmon. The question i had posted here wasnt about how my "bioload" is, it was the question about the inverts. But we'll c ill keep you guys informed. There are alot of people that dont go "Buy the book" and establish perfectly fine tanks with water quality. I ran all my tanks for a week with nothin but jumbo shrimp. And im sure as iv seen here that alot of ppl here prolly frown on that, and think that YOU MUST cycle for a month and a half. But ive had perfect water quality, and fish. So that is JMO. Thanks

I understand, but you gotta remember that the fact of fish grow to the size of their environment.

In a way you are right but not in the sense you are talking about. Their growth is stunted being in a smaller tank. This usually results in illnesses and can lead to death. I personally think that some of our diseases are because of these stunted growth envionments. I had a person on this site many years ago that confirmed this. He`s not here any more but all that remember Steve S. know who I`m talking about. Most knowledgeable SW person I ever met. You asked for opinions and I`m giving you that. JMO

We are also talkin about a really Hardy fish, Now if i had put a Moorish Idol in my tank, i would understand you a hundred and fifty percent.

My friends 55 gallon. Livin life fine just as he did in the 29, and guess what? He got Bigger and hes healthy. O my goodness i guess it can be done

Nice post CCC! I really think this one explains it really well.
"Fish growth and tank size
Hi guys,
I need to solve a question that has been coming up a lot lately on many of the fish forums. Do fish only grow to the size of the aquarium they are in? I think this is an idiotic statement, but I've been an idiot before when it comes to this hobby. If fish only grow to the size of tank they are kept in, why did I have to upgrade from a 75g to a 125g tank when my Koran angel outgrew the original tank? I didn't see any indication that he was going to stop growing anytime soon. :)
Thanks and great job on this web sight. I've been coming here for 2 years and it only gets better!!
Regards, Susan
<Susan, the idea that fish will only grow to the size of their aquarium is an old one, but is only slightly true. Freshwater fish are fairly easy to stunt and usually do not outgrow their tanks. They just usually die prematurely from health complications from poor water quality in cramped quarters or they just jump out and die on your rug. Saltwater fish do not stunt well and again succumb to the health issues relating to water quality or jump. In general, if you want a healthy, happy pet, provide it with plenty of room, good overall water quality, and a varied diet, and you will be rewarded with a long-lived friend. -Steven Pro>"

My friends 55 gallon. Livin life fine just as he did in the 29, and guess what? He got Bigger and hes healthy. O my goodness i guess it can be done

Well you did ask for opinions. Whether you take any that`s up to you. You`ve got some great opinions from several folks. You asked and we gave them. Do what you want with them but dont mock anyones opinion or experience.

Now that is funny. Says alot for your husbandry and water quality that it stopped growing in those conditions, yet when moved to improved conditions it started growing again.

You titled the thread "Opinions Welcome"....but you don't seem to welcome them.

there all moved into a 125 gallon now. Doing good. Anybody here have any experience with Bannerfish Heneiochus (sp). Heard they were pretty hardy. I want to get one soon. Not the long fin or banner ones. There is one that has a smaller banner, i think its the schooling one. Iv always loved these little guys. Im selling both my beloved triggers back tonight. Cause im gonna go with a non aggresive tank. I want to add some starfish as well, will the bannerfish nip at any of my stars? Also i just got a powder brown tang. Shes gordeous eating like a pig. Territorial though.

None of the bannerfish species belong in a 125g as they just grow too large and territorial over time. They do; however, do best in social groups.

thanks for the opinion Innovator. Imma do some more research, but i will prolly take my chances. If it gets too big ill sell it bak to tah LFS i work at. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom