Opps I meant Nitrites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

edison9114

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My nitrites are testing around 3.0 ppm....how can I lower it...55 gal tank....4 inches of fish....fish only setup.....no LR....CC substrate...penguin 330 and Penguin Mini, both with the BioWheel....already did 30% water change this week.

nitrites are a normal part of a cycle.. The should disappear in 2-6 weeks when the cycle is finished.. How old is this tank.. if nitrites are that high I would get the fish out of there..

HTH,
James

#1. Lowering nitrites is the same as lowering nitrates, Water changes. Other than that, like James said, it is going to take time. It sounds like the tank is new and you are just now seeing the nitrites, This is perfectly normal and they will go away. If the tank is cycling, Water changes are only going to slow down the cycle. The fish you have will either suffer the nitrites, or you can see if the LFS will take them back until the tank has cycled.

#2. If the tank is not new, and you are seeing a nitrite spike of that magnitude, then you have got something in the tank creating ammonia which is being broken down into the nitrites. Not a good thing in a seasoned tank..

In either case, the tank is going to have to settle, and no matter what you do, it is going to take time. So as stated before, you have a choice.

Do water changes to keep the toxicity down and prolong the cycle and pray the fish make it through it, or, take the fish back to the LFS and don't do a water change and let the tank cycle.

Back
Top Bottom