ORA Maroon Clown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikestanked

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was told told that this was a ORA Maroon clown by my LFS, but upon research I couldn't find any ORA maroons that have the spot in the rear? Any suggestions or clarification?

I was told told that this was a ORA Maroon clown by my LFS, but upon research I couldn't find any ORA maroons that have the spot in the rear? Any suggestions or clarification?

One of the pluses (or minuses, depending on how you look at it ;)) to tank raised clownfish, is that you are going to get unusual color patterns sometimes with every fish or every spawn. ORA is a company name not a specie of fish. When you see a picture of a maroon clown for sale from them, you are not going to see all the possible odd colorings that may be on your fish.
What you have is a tank raised maroon clown which came from ORA with an extra color. (A nice looking fish BTW ;))
I used to search through hundreds of wild clowns just to find odd patterned fish such as this one to put in my home tanks. Be glad that you can get so many of them now and they are tank raised :D

Hope this helps (y)

Thanks a lot, that does help. I wish I could get another picture of him because he is a beauty. And he is starting to get use to his new home, only had um for less than a week and at first one of my azure damsels was harassing him to the point I had to take the damsel out. But now he's doing so much better, I left one of the damsel's in and he is not half as aggressive, still make sure Rooney (maroon clown) knows that he's the new guy but doesn't nip or attack him at all.

And I knew ORA was a company and when I went to the site to find more info I was just curious to not find any spot( didn't find any spot on maroons on all of the sites I visited that day) but I'm very proud of his spot it makes home unique in my eyes. He also is a smart fish, he goes strait for the sinking pellets when I put them in, I've never had a clown that I could remember doing this action. And I can tell when he grows up a bit that he will run the tank, and being my new favorite fish I'm fine with that.

Any suggestions on future tank mate's?

Thanks a lot, that does help. I wish I could get another picture of him because he is a beauty. And he is starting to get use to his new home, only had um for less than a week and at first one of my azure damsels was harassing him to the point I had to take the damsel out. But now he's doing so much better, I left one of the damsel's in and he is not half as aggressive, still make sure Rooney (maroon clown) knows that he's the new guy but doesn't nip or attack him at all.

And I knew ORA was a company and when I went to the site to find more info I was just curious to not find any spot( didn't find any spot on maroons on all of the sites I visited that day) but I'm very proud of his spot it makes home unique in my eyes. He also is a smart fish, he goes strait for the sinking pellets when I put them in, I've never had a clown that I could remember doing this action. And I can tell when he grows up a bit that he will run the tank, and being my new favorite fish I'm fine with that.

Any suggestions on future tank mate's?

In my 30+ years of working with saltwater fishes, I have seen wild maroon clowns with missing stripes, half stripes, extra stripes, spots between the stripes, extended areas in the stripes and stripes that blended together. None of these patterns are considered "normal" and would be shown in a picture describing a Maroon clown. That doesn't mean that the other fish don't exist. :D The single dot on the tail is not all that unique (no offense intended.) What I have seen with some of the original tank bred fish by the predecessor to ORA was many fish with different (meaning- other than normal) patterns. All the tank raised clowns for sale today show many different patterns but in nature, most of those odd looking fish would not have survived. (That's an evolutionary discussion for another forum ;)) I'd bet that if you went to their facility (ORA), you'd find a number of fish with these unique patterns. All I can say is don't be surprised if that spot changes over time or even disappears over time. It's a natural thing. (Just look at tomato clowns. Juv. tomatoes have 3 stripes that fade into only 1 at the head as they mature.)

As for other tankmates, you should be aware that Maroon clowns can get very aggressive towards new tank mates no mater what they are. Be very cautious about adding more clowns of any kind with the exception of another SMALLER brightly colored maroon. Why? Male maroons are much smaller than the females and are a bright red as opposed to the females which grow large and remain a dark maroon color. The color of the fish in your picture is more of a female so it should grow larger. If you put another maroon of equal size to yours now, one will become the female and the other will stay small and become the male.

I'd suggest you see if you can get to a store that carries multiple maroon clowns of different sizes so you can see the difference between them all. Take note of the different colors if you find wild ones.

Hope this helps (y)

Back
Top Bottom