Orange Polyps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbro

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi.

First pic shows a colony of tiny orange polyps on my rock that are starting to protrude and becoming tubular (I think). Is this some kind of sponge or coral? I'd like promote it's growth whatever it is.

Second pic shows what looks like caulerpa (according to someone who only saw it with lights off), but it's rigid. This shows a second growth over necrotic original. I have this in a couple spots, intense light and low light.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

The algae is a species of Halimeda, not sure on your second pic. If possible try to get a pic of the "polyps" when they are open.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks, Steve. The polyps are almost pinhead size right now, so I don't think pics will help. One of them is open in pic protruding into dark area and is tubular and clear. The others (smaller) look like an upside-down drip when they protrude. It would just be nice to nurture in their infancy.

jbro said:
The polyps are almost pinhead size right now, so I don't think pics will help. One of them is open in pic protruding into dark area and is tubular and clear. The others (smaller) look like an upside-down drip when they protrude. It would just be nice to nurture in their infancy.
The crown/top of the polyp in the background is still turned inwards. Hard to be accurate when they are like that.

Any color (other than orange) or shape description you can provide when they are fully open?

Cheers
Steve

Oh, sorry, I see. That particular one (largest) is what looks like an open-ended tube. Orange at base, and gets more transparent further out.

If that's what it looks like when fully extended then I would say some sort of tunicate (Clavelina sp. possibley). Try a google image search and see if you get any match ups. Mind you that's only a guess.

Cheers
Steve

I agree with the vote for tunicates. I have one that is about 1/2" tall. At night they seem to expand showing their incurrent and excurrent siphons. However, during the day they shrink up and take on a tear drop shape. I am just a newbie so if I am wrong don't yell at me.

Back
Top Bottom