orange-rust algea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EELectric

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently have added 23 pounds of live rock(about 5 days ago) and I'm trying to convert to a reef tank. My tank is 55 gal. and everything was going well for about 2 days when I began to notice an orangey-rust colored algea on some of my sand and live rock. Now it is on at least a little bit of every rock and my appliances. I just started adding calcium daily and my compact light is on for about 12-13 hours a day. Is there anything I can do, or do you even know what I'm talking about. Thanks!

Sounds like a diatom bloom. I'm guessing by the sounds of it that the tank hasn't been up for long. Is that correct?

Diatoms are common in new tanks and should die-off soon enough. no worries. You can however check your PO4 levels to ensure that you don't have a phosphate problem that will further help the diatoms get a foot hold. If your PO4 is good, and you aren't doing anything to add them, they shouldn't last too long.

As far as adding calcium. If your tank is in fact new, just let the tank settle a little before adding anything.

Also, your lighting schedule is overkill for a new tank. That will also foster the diatom bloom. Cut it back to 6 hrs or so, until the bloom is gone then gradually increase it.

Is your new LR cured?

I agree sounds like diatoms. It will have to run its course. No need to add calcium until many months down the road if you add corals. Also agree that 12-13 hours of light is not needed.

Well first of all, my tank has been running for 2 years. Yes, my live rock is cured and I have already added corals. The calcium really isn't that big of an issue, I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't some kind of algea that prospered with more calcium. When you say, "run its course" what do you mean and how long? Also how long do you suggest me to keep the lights on for? Lastly, what does the term diatom bomb mean?

to make sure that it wasn't some kind of algea that prospered with more calcium
Diatoms feed mostly off things like PO4 and nitrate. So as long as the Ca supplement is not introducing either of these things, which would be uncommon, it will not affect the algae. What are you using for Ca?
Anytime you make such a drastic change to a SW tank you will see algae blooms of different sorts. Cutting your lighting schedule back a few hours, or more depending on your corals, along w/ limiting feeding for a short time will help this pass quicker. It may last a week, then again it may take a little longer-hard to say exactly. PWC's w/ RO/DI source water may help also. HTH

I'm using a Kent Marine Liquid Calcium product. So all agree that if it is a diatom bomb it should blow over in a week or 2? Thank you!

The cause is likely a PO4 increase due to the newly added LR. PWC with good source water will help get rid of it by removing the excess nutrients. Hard to say how long it will stick around. The more WC you do the shorter its life span will be. The CA dosing should not have anything to do with it. Just make sure you check the CA level before you dose. It is diatom bloom not bomb. :wink:

Thank you guys so very much! This should help me very much. If nothing happens in a week or so I will contact you guys again. Somehow I thought it was a diatom "bomb" not bloom, sorry. Thank You for the help.

Back
Top Bottom