Orange-throat Darters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

limnologist

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ive picked up a few orange-throat darters at the same place I found the creek chubs, so far they are eating frozen bloodworm, I distributed them among my smaller tanks (2 in the 10 gallon axie tank, 6 in the 20 gallon native tank, 2 in the 5 gallon breeder and 2 in the 5 gallon betta tank) I keep the temps on all tanks pretty low and each tank has pretty good water flow. So far they seem like pretty straight-forward, easy-to-keep fish buuut...... anybody have any tips?

You caught those? They're very cool looking specimens

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

yea, I thought it would be fun to run through a creek with a net chasing the little fish, but they just sat under rocks and in sand and didnt try to swim away....there wasnt much sport to it.....so I got about 15 much easier than I should have.
Theyre already starting to show all their colors, I love their dorsal fins.

eventually....Im still trying to be not lazy enough to upload some pics of my creek chubs that people wanna see lol

Darters are really cool. We have a few here but all the really cool ones are up north. My only suggestion is to qt wild caught fish and pretreatment with antibiotics and parasite meds.

Sent from Peabody's rabbit hole.

Darters are really cool. We have a few here but all the really cool ones are up north. My only suggestion is to qt wild caught fish and pretreatment with antibiotics and parasite meds.

Sent from Peabody's rabbit hole.

That's a good suggestion.

I wanted to get darters too but are they hardy? I just don't want to buy a heater lol!

NatureFish
????

Nice find. When I was a kid I would collect Johnny Darters. As far as darters go, they were rather plain colored.
As for care, I would imagine cool temps, high oxygen, adequate water flow and decent water conditions. Rocks to hide under (I suppose similar to the place where you obtained them).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They live fast current and meaty foods

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom