Organic glass cleaner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlid_tank619

Aquarium Advice Freak
Bought a tank from someone. It's a good soils tank, no cracks or leaks. The problem I have is it looks like there's a residue that looks like calcium or grime that dogs the glass. I tried vinegar and scrubbing it but it won't come off. I also tried to scrap it with a razor blade.

Is there anything out there that's safe to use to remove it?

cichlid_tank619 said:
Bought a tank from someone. It's a good soils tank, no cracks or leaks. The problem I have is it looks like there's a residue that looks like calcium or grime that dogs the glass. I tried vinegar and scrubbing it but it won't come off. I also tried to scrap it with a razor blade.

Is there anything out there that's safe to use to remove it?

Ok I know I just know I will get shot down for this but I have done it a few times with no issues when vinniger and elbow Grease won't cut it I use the blue duck toilet bowl cleaner and scrub it down then I set it in the shower I have a shower head with a hose on it and rinse it with hot hot water then I rinse with bleach and water with another hot hot rinse then leave in in the sun to dry rinse again while wiping it and rinse again lol then I use it I know others may not agree and that's fine use your judgement but it worked for me with no Ill effects

I tried oven cleaner an scrubbed the hell out of it.. Nothing. I rinsed it out five times and then set it up and tested out the water quality, then used 10 gold fish (which lived for days) as testers. I know wrong but I didn't want my Frontosas to die. Now it's full of water and has my fishy in it but it just looks hazy!

Attachments

• image-1385462546.jpg
    image-1385462546.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 93
The haze could just be down to a bacterial bloom due to the fact the tank isn't fully cycled yet rather than a glass problem.

I'm having the same problem with an old 55 I picked up on CL... I'm gonna try polishing the glass with a buffer, like the type used on cars... I heard white toothpaste works well or some kind of metal polish. Here is what the haze looks like on mine while it's empty, was yours similar?

Also here's a link to a guy who uses this method to get rid of small scratches so I'm hoping it'll work for this white haze too. Don't know if this helped or if we have the same issue, just thought I'd share my findings just in case! :)

Attachments

• image-4083546846.jpg
    image-4083546846.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 85
Billbug68 said:
I'm having the same problem with an old 55 I picked up on CL... I'm gonna try polishing the glass with a buffer, like the type used on cars... I heard white toothpaste works well or some kind of metal polish. Here is what the haze looks like on mine while it's empty, was yours similar?

Also here's a link to a guy who uses this method to get rid of small scratches so I'm hoping it'll work for this white haze too. Don't know if this helped or if we have the same issue, just thought I'd share my findings just in case! :)

EXACTLY!!! It's driving me nutts. The water is crystal clean looking into it from the top. The fish are healthy and happy. BUT the freaking glass is
Making me want to take it all down!

Attachments

• image-2707757043.jpg
    image-2707757043.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 62
I've been there. My 20 gallon looked constantly murky and gross because of hard water buildup. Emptied it out and scraped it down with a razor blade and it looks great now. Hopefully yours isn't so bad that a couple blades and some elbow grease can't get through it.

cichlid_tank619 said:
EXACTLY!!! It's driving me nutts. The water is crystal clean looking into it from the top. The fish are healthy and happy. BUT the freaking glass is
Making me want to take it all down!

Follow my upgrade thread and I should have some results sometime today/tonight, I'm gonna try to buff it out when I get off work.

Two more things your could try. I know you tried vinegar. But white vinegar works best, rub it on the glass, then using good quality kitchen paper soak in more white vinegar, place the soaked paper on the glass so it kinda sticks, and leave for 24 hrs then when you scrub it should come off.

Or you could try patio cleaner which is a brick acid designed to break down line. You would need to rise extremely well after tho and wear rubber gloves, and goggles as it burns the skin.
The best part is it breaks down in water.

Back
Top Bottom