Ornaments - stack central or spread out?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delapool

AA Member
Site Team
Redoing the fish tank and re-stacking the ornaments. These are:

5 pieces of wood
3 fake rocks / hidey holes
sunken plane

Traditionally I've placed ornaments spread out so fish can have a little territory (catfish mainly) but intend to try stacking ornaments more vertical and central in tank (so I can get more plants in or possibly ornaments :) )

What are peoples thoughts here? Best to spread ornaments out or stack centrally in tank or doesn't really matter?

Got ladder out so I can reach into tank.

Realised it would be much easier if I had a walk-in tank or the front glass panel hinged half way or a matter transport .....

Got ladder out so I can reach into tank.

Realised it would be much easier if I had a walk-in tank or the front glass panel hinged half way or a matter transport .....

How big is that tank??
Would you be able to post a pic of each setup? Kind of a rough draft so that it would be easier to visualize?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I like the 'center island' look done properly.
Now whether the fish will appreciate it?

I think sometimes we put too much in our little spaces,
and do to fish 'fear' often don't leave enough free space....

This is the 4ft tank by 2ft by 2.5ft high.

I think I may have overdone the ornaments - never realised there was this much actually in there :)

Plan is to stack the plane on the rocks (dry run seemed ok). Not quite sure on wood yet.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1444480272.660268.jpg

Plane stacked on the three fake rocks...

Might be a bit hard to see but the base of the plane doesn't completely fit the rocks - planning to fit some wood around (I think) to conceal this a bit.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1444480536.560790.jpg

Your tank is so tall! ?
I'm fairly certain I would have to climb into that tank to move items or clean it with as short as I am.

I think with the height of the tank that stacked would look good and I really like the plane on the rocks look.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Holy moly that is a good sized tank. I like the stacked island, placed slightly off center.
Plane looks fine on the fake rocks. DW or plants to fill in eventually, but try it without and see how it looks.
Leopard belly blue shark.

Lol - win from the show. Going for the marine look.

Probably CB is right - too much stuff.

Just climbing up and down the ladder now trying to get stuff to fit. Harder than I thought - it all lined up so neatly in the garage...

I think it will end up a bit off-centre. Working around the brace was something I didn't consider and it's getting on 9pm here.

Got a lot more respect for large tanks with stacked slate for cichlids.

This should free up a bit of room though and the fake rocks seem to be BBA magnets.

This is the 4ft tank by 2ft by 2.5ft high.

I think I may have overdone the ornaments - never realised there was this much actually in there :)

Plan is to stack the plane on the rocks (dry run seemed ok). Not quite sure on wood yet.

View attachment 279059

Nice a little taller then my 120s.
The stack should look very cool with the plane IMO!
Can't wait to see how it progresses.

Less can be more(except in gallons!!)

Done(ish).

Found my towel..

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1444489546.462662.jpg

Tank is pea soup at moment. Managed to get the plane on the rocks fairly tight and then some wood in front to hide where the base of plane meets the fake rocks.

Possibly should be a bit further back.

Comments welcome. Wood can be shifted around.

Trimmed hygro and replanted. Replanted some other plants I made a mess of.

It was very nice to have the room on the tank sides now. Much easier to work in.

Anyone got any ideas on a substrate for plants that can be just added to existing gravel to be slowly mixed in? I have been adding the API laterite clay but need heaps more of something.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1444489973.024460.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1444489993.674007.jpg

Looks nice

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

It looks like a plane went down in the jungle and the trees grew around it. Love the books btw!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks - trying for the plane crash with trees growing up.

Um, do you I should add any more wood? I could get some pieces to stick in the holes in the plane. Maybe another two pieces. Or should I let sleeping fish lie?

Looking into substrates. Looks like we have flourite here. It was on Amazon but postage was $200 :(

I would definitely have "trees" coming out the windows
Would make it much more authentic looking.

That's a lot for postage. No substrate manufactured local to you?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

My experience of clay based substrates. They need to go under your gravels and sands. If you disturb them, what a mess!

You could try root tabs or balls. . . These can be pushed in and then they break down under the substrate. Just go easy with the siphon!

Other than that, you've a nice looking tank, I like the plane, I'm a fan of aviation!
What can I say about deep tanks, yes, your back tells the story after any work! Oh and wet armpits? Muddy river bank and sweat, not a good combo!

Nice start for a Sunday. . .:nono:
I have a centre stack in one tank, the fish swim around it all day, works for them. So hey, it must be ok!

Tank has cleared up much better. Decided I like some pieces of wood and others I'll try shifting but overall happy with it.

Looking at seachem flourite - this seems like it won't break down? I see a few comments on sharp edges though? I'm looking at getting a 7 kg bag or two and trying? Basically just need something I can add to gravel. There is a couple of kilo's of api laterite in there added over the years but that stuff is soooo expensive.

Do you have EcoComplete there? It is inert, does not break down, and requires little to no rinsing. Comes in black or red (clay colored). It won't add nutrients, however, it's physical properties will attract and store minerals that are beneficial to the plants. I use it in my planted tank and also add substrate fertilizers (maybe every 1-2 months).

Back
Top Bottom