Ornate Birchir

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But you said they grow slow so 20" will take years

I have found that delhazi and weekii grow slow but ornate grow fast

But it's a long time since I have kept and as even a 20" will be food in my tank

Ornate and endy both grow very fast

Very correct on all that, I'm accounting for the fishes max size in the tank as the owner should too. While in his young stages he can go in a 125 but it wouldn't be good for him in the long run when he does reach said potential size

Very correct on all that, I'm accounting for the fishes max size in the tank as the owner should too. While in his young stages he can go in a 125 but it wouldn't be good for him in the long run when he does reach said potential size

This is the thing it drives me mad when people say that fish is to big for that tank in the long run

It may take a ornate 10 years to get to max size but how many people keep a fish 10 years
We all change our tanks around at some point and buy and sell

If your talking about a fish like a red tail cat that purchased for a 125 then yes moan about the tank being to small
But a fish that will be fine in a tank for 4-5 years then why tell people that tanks to small tell them when it looks to small not when they have a 5" fish in a 6x2

Just because info says a fish CAN grow to 2ft doesn't mean it will in a tank ALL sizes stated are in the wild not tank

Iv never seen a birchir grow more than 14inch, and that was big for a birchir in a tank, yeah they are capable of 2 feet in the wild, but in an aquarium, no chance, you could have a 1000g tank and they wouldn't get close to 2 feet.

Sent from my HTC Desire C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Iv never seen a birchir grow more than 14inch, and that was big for a birchir in a tank, yeah they are capable of 2 feet in the wild, but in an aquarium, no chance, you could have a 1000g tank and they wouldn't get close to 2 feet.

Sent from my HTC Desire C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

There's actually a handful of bichirs that can reach 2 feet in aquaria...
And not 1000g tank. Lots will get or just under 2 feet in a 200+gallon tank. However T1 is right, just because it says that not all will reach that size.

That said I have a 1000g and a few of my fish have reached the sizes stated in books or the net

Red Asian Arowana book size 36" mine is 32"

Daft pulcher book size 24" mine is 24"

But book fish I have owned for over 8 years

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391244990.560823.jpg

Back
Top Bottom