Oscar and Oxygenation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JSlead

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi Folks,

Still struggling with my adult Oscar. Lethargic and laying on her side most of the time. She does eat daily but in general, basically NO activity.

I’m wondering if oxygenation may be an issue.

Here’s my setup:
90gal tank
Just added an FX6 filter
Emperor 400 HOB
Two large sponge filters

When I added the FX6 on sunday, I removed a second HOB (Penguin 350). But the next two days Oscar was ESPECIALLY lethargic so I put the 350 back in this morning, to add more vertical water exchange and surface turbulence.

My fear is that the FX6 doesn’t disturb the surface enough.

Thoughts on my filtration? Ideas? Is this enough? Should I keep both HOBs or is that overkill? Frankly I’d rather remove one but I’m getting worried. They also don’t make a spray bar for this filter but I see they can be DIY...

Thanks.

JSlead

I think that's plenty of normal filtration with only 1 hob. But I'm of the school that says you can't over filter. You might leave the old hob on there until the new fx gets cycled in a few weeks tho

Hi Folks,

Still struggling with my adult Oscar. Lethargic and laying on her side most of the time. She does eat daily but in general, basically NO activity.

I’m wondering if oxygenation may be an issue.

Here’s my setup:

90gal tank

Just added an FX6 filter

Emperor 400 HOB

Two large sponge filters

When I added the FX6 on sunday, I removed a second HOB (Penguin 350). But the next two days Oscar was ESPECIALLY lethargic so I put the 350 back in this morning, to add more vertical water exchange and surface turbulence.

My fear is that the FX6 doesn’t disturb the surface enough.

Thoughts on my filtration? Ideas? Is this enough? Should I keep both HOBs or is that overkill? Frankly I’d rather remove one but I’m getting worried. They also don’t make a spray bar for this filter but I see they can be DIY...

Thanks.

JSlead

Get an air stone and test your own hypothesis.

Job done.

Have you checked water parameters lately?

Yeah, I’m kindof a freak about that. Nitrates yesterday were about 20ppm. PH always 8, no ammo or nitrite. I keep the KH around 5-6 and GH around 8 (I control this by mixing RO water with my harder well water). Temp 80°F.

Back
Top Bottom