Oscar fish white lines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aCatNamedKevin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
About a month and a half ago I set up a 55 gallon tank and put a single oscar in it. 2 days ago I noticed he had a white spot on his jaw and I thought it could be ich but today I woke up and I saw these white lines on his body (pictured). Any idea what it could be? His behavior seems normal. I havent switch his diet up recently. Tank temp has remained at around 78F. I've tested the water nothing out of the ordinary there.

Attachments

• 20201220_114448.jpg
    20201220_114448.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 20201220_114437.jpg
    20201220_114437.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 67
Could be begging of lateral line erosion., what are you feeding? What's your wc change routine

I'm feeding Hikari cichlid gold primarily, freeze dried shrimp, meal worms, and peas. As for wc I do a 25% every weekend, ill do a 50% once a month and throught the week, maybe twice, ill siphon out the waste and replace the water. He poops alot

Maybe try upping the weekly to 50-75%? Llle is primarily cause by poor water quality.

Update: the lines and dot seem to actually be going away. I didn't do much, cleaned the filter out again. Took out the activated carbon (Google said this might work), and did a 75% wc. I'm wondering now if its just actual injuries due to the large piece of spider wood I have in the center of the tank. He likes to swim under it and hid but he's getting much to big to easily fit. I'm thinking he could be maybe scratching against the sharp wood? What do you think

They are clumsy but also tough. When something shows up on the outside that matches patterns on the inside, most likely not superficial. The fact you cleaned up his room a bit and he looks happier speaks volumes. Keep up with the large weekly wcs and you'll have a 3 pound oscar you can barely keep fed.

Thanks a bunch! I was also wondering when I should remove the large piece of spiderwood to give him more room to swim and grow?

I have not kept one but I've read plenty of threads about them destroying themselves on/or destroying decorations. I've even read they destroy glass heaters. I'd baby proof the tank, maybe a small nerf football or some sort plastic toys?

Back
Top Bottom