Oscar got burned by heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Punkymom

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well, today my Oscar got moved into a 75 gal tank. Today is also the day he pressed himself up against the heater and now has a reletively large welt on his side. What can I do for this? Melafix??? Help would be appreciated because I don't want it to get infected.

Melafix can't hurt, I use Mela & Pimafix and have had good results.
I'd just add the Melafix (follow directions) and do the ol'wait-n-see.
No time like the present to run out and buy heater guards!
Oscar's are so very curious, or just decide to "Kill" the heater sometimes 8O , yours was probably just cold and tried to snuggle up to that nice warm thing in his territory.

No he was running from the net. I had to buy a heater for the 75 he went into so I bought one of those stealth ones. It has a case around the glass.

If he burned himself on the heater, regardless of how, then you still need to get a heater guard. He can hide behind, lay against or rub on it all day long without getting burned with a guard.

The Stealth heater I just bought has a plastic casing around it. The heater he got burned on did not.

reinforced plastic coating that protects components against thermal and mechanical shock, and a aluminum cylinder which distributes heat evenly and efficiently

I looked at various pictures and it doesn't seem that water circulates inside the plastic sleeve, how does it look to you :?:
It seems to me that the plastic must still be "heated" in order to transfer heat to the water, hence your Oscar can still burn himself :(

I know. I began Melafix today...I have to go and buy a bigger bottle! 75 gal is a lot of tank to treat!

Back
Top Bottom