oscar might have hole in the head disease

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Montwo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was just wondereing if someone could show me some good pics and descriptions of hole in the head disease, also treatment. just noticed today that my oscar has a white spot about 1/8 or maybe 1/16 inch in size on the top dead center of his head I tryed to get a close look, looks like it may be fuzzy but that might be me eyes playing tricks on me at this point.
look forward to your advise and thanx in advance.

Hi, Montwo.

First off, Hole in the Head, in my understanding, is caused by two things. Lack of a varied diet, poor water conditions, and stress. This isn't always the case, but mostly. Once it is gotten, it's almost impossible to stop. It can be arrested, but this will not overall 'cure' the fish.

Test your water, what are the parameters (ie: nitrates, nitrites, pH, ammonia, temp, etc)

How big of a tank is the oscar in? Any other tankmates?

It sounds like you could have HITH, as it starts just like you are describing...but watch out. Could be a sore. Is there any chance you can get a picture of it?

Here is a link with info on HITH and other beneficial information as well.
http://www.aquariumfish.net/information/hole_in_the_head.htm

Good Luck!

Hole-in-the-head is caused by poor water quality and a NON varied diet.

To treat:
Add 1 tbs of AQUARIUM salt per 10gal of water.
Raise the temp to 80+
Remove carbon(if used)
Treat with Metronidazole
20-30% water changes every 3 days

Feed a blanced diet and use a vitamin supplement like Bio-Vit.

well the tank is about 2.5 months old 20gal the ph is around 7, I havent tested for nitrates or anything else, I change about 20% of the water once a month change my filter pads every two weeks though my filter is rated for 20 gal max I need a bigger filter, the tank is clear not cloudy no crap or nothing lying about on or in the gravel that can be seen, I feed it tetra baby shrimp every other day, hbh oscar bites once sometimes twice a day but rarely twice a day, hbh oscar grow every once in a while ( it sinks and I dont want it getting in the habit of sucking in gravel), and for the last 3 weeks in supplement for comet feeders 3 fat wax worms every other day. it has two tankmates a small red claw crab that does a fine job of cleaning and a bala shark .

p.s. cant get a picture of it right now for some reason my damn puter wont recignize the camera or the card reader

Well the hole-in-the-head is probably from the water parameters.
First a 20gal tank is WAY to small for you Oscar.
Right now he may be small but an Adult Osacr will reach to 12+ inches and should be kept in a 75gal tank with maybe a pleco but thats it.
Second you need to get a good master test kit so you can keep an eye on all water param.s.
Third you need to be doing 20-30% water changes twice a week with him being in such a small tank.
Oscars are verry messy eatting fish and produce a ton of waste.
Also when your Oscar gets bigger that crab will be lunch.

Remember a balanced diet and try a vitamin supplement.

actually I am in the process of building a 390 gal tank in my basement that should be completed in four months or when some more funds become available what ever comes first, the crab for the time being is well sheltered it goes into the filter during the day and climbs back into the tank at nite right now I havent got the money for a master test kit the budjet just wont allow it right now. but on the bright side the spot on it's head appears to be smaller almost non existent

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom