Oscar... What color is he???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes Oscars can change color with their mood. Mine will go from pale gray to dark black in seconds. If he gets spooked then he pales out fast.

Golden Oscars were developed by Herb Fogel in the early 80's. This is not a dyed or hybrid of multiple species. It is the product of multiple Oscars (Astronotus ocellatus) of different colors being selectively breed to acquire that specific coloration.

He looks pretty awesome though! I just wish Oscars stopped growing about 6". That is when I think they look the most fascinating.

Zaedon said:
Golden Oscars were developed by Herb Fogel in the early 80's. This is not a dyed or hybrid of multiple species. It is the product of multiple Oscars (Astronotus ocellatus) of different colors being selectively breed to acquire that specific coloration.

He looks pretty awesome though! I just wish Oscars stopped growing about 6". That is when I think they look the most fascinating.

This guy is my first Oscar and it is taking some getting used to! I'm used to the type of fish you can never find in your tank and you always have to entice them to come up and feed, but they still wait for it to fall in the current and come to them. This Oscar begs for food and hunts it out. Pretty cool.

The selective breeding for the gold color must have taken years to develop. Does the color breed true?

You got yourself a great find there...good luck with him.

The selective breeding for the gold color must have taken years to develop. Does the color breed true?

I've never bred Oscars so I'm not really sure. Golden Oscars are rare now so maybe you should try and find another and see what happens. Maybe these fellas might catch on again.

Zaedon said:
I've never bred Oscars so I'm not really sure. Golden Oscars are rare now so maybe you should try and find another and see what happens. Maybe these fellas might catch on again.

I wouldn't mind breeding Gold Oscars, but to house several Oscars to get a pair and the babies... That is a lot of water. Has anyone had a fish vented to sex it before? Is it expensive?

I can't find any Gold Oscars for sale online. Anyone seen any? Looking for some so I can get my little guy a potential mate...

Ghostriderphoto said:
I can't find any Gold Oscars for sale online. Anyone seen any? Looking for some so I can get my little guy a potential mate...

You would have to buy about 5 to get it to pair off then find homes for the others...

Ofcourse its a juvenile oscar & Here's the proper term probably ur looking for. It's a copper oscar. Never heared anything like gold oscar in local or in internet. I hav oscar since 8 months and I googled a lot of info bout them for keeping this beautiful cichlids. Discuss with my LFS. Even I have one of the copper oscar with me. I just love all my buddies. They change colour with mood, water changes,and feeding time.

sayan said:
Ofcourse its a juvenile oscar & Here's the proper term probably ur looking for. It's a copper oscar. Never heared anything like gold oscar in local or in internet. I hav oscar since 8 months and I googled a lot of info bout them for keeping this beautiful cichlids. Discuss with my LFS. Even I have one of the copper oscar with me. I just love all my buddies. They change colour with mood, water changes,and feeding time.

Do you have a pic of your Oscar you can post so I can see a Copper Oscar? I had never seen one like this before so I have been looking for answers. Do you know where I can get another one? Are they a selectively bred color variation or just like a one in a million shot from a group of eggs?

Yes I hav the pic of my buddy. Wil upload for u. Copper oscar isn't a rare kind of oscars. They are breed in huge way these days. I love the colour.u can hav another one in ur LFS. Otherwise u can order online. My LFS have a great collection of oscars. I love to hav all of them. Ha ha.

here are some of my oscars pic

Attachments

• 100_2865.JPG
    100_2865.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 78
  • 100_2880.JPG
    100_2880.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 80
  • 100_2922.JPG
    100_2922.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 74
  • 100_2947.JPG
    100_2947.JPG
    154.1 KB · Views: 91
some more

Attachments

• 100_2956.JPG
    100_2956.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 83
  • 2012-03-25 19.49.21.jpg
    2012-03-25 19.49.21.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 88
oscars always keep changing their colour so don't just go by their color. these fish deserve much more. amazing personality. my copper oscar is much blackish shed than u. but still i love him a lot.at time of feeding he grows his beige shade.

sayan said:
oscars always keep changing their colour so don't just go by their color. these fish deserve much more. amazing personality. my copper oscar is much blackish shed than u. but still i love him a lot.at time of feeding he grows his beige shade.

You have some pretty colors in your tank. I think mine is only 2-3 months old and just under 3" at this point. I love his personality and the color changes he does. I just haven't been able to pinpoint his exact color. The lfs had him as a red Oscar... That was the start of my confusion. I see similar body markings to yours... No tiger stripes and no spots. Makes me wonder how he will mature.

He's not a red oscar that I can assure u dear. Coz red oscars are much bright red in colour from the begining. But I love ur buddy too. He has such great color.and looks kool ha...

Saw one at the other lfs today that had a lot of black and was labeled as a red Oscar. He didn't look very red, but a bit coppery like yours. Very pretty. How much and often do you feed your juveniles? I find myself giving in to his begging and don't want to over feed. Lfs says to feed once a day or every other day.

He has a few color variations I can't seem to get on camera. Right now he has a pink hue... Like iridescent pink. Geez... How many colors do they have?!! Maybe I can get a pic...

This is the best pic I got of the iridescence... He won't stop chasing the gold fish long enough for me to take a good picture.

Attachments

• image-1269608076.jpg
    image-1269608076.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 78
1st of all oscar with goldfish isn't a very good idea. In other way I'll say they r not compatiable. I feed my buddies twice a day.coz at juvenile stage oscar grow very fast and need foods frequently but at the adult age or wen full grown u can reduce the frequency of feeding. But yes do not overfeed.do a water change 50% weekly and give some quality food like hikari cichlid bio gold plus or newlife spectrum cichlid formula.follow this. Ur buddy will surely be happy I can promise u.

Back
Top Bottom