Oscarr19's 32G Planted Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oscarr19

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guy i finally decided to make my 32G a planted tank. I'm sticking with low light plants for now as the light fixtures here are pretty expensive but i might upgrade in the future. I don't plan on running any co2 but will dose ferts. I'm currently dosing Nutrafin plant gro but will change to flourish excel liquid and tabs once the bottle of plant gro finishes. The lighting i have is a stock hood with 2 T8 20W bulbs.

The plants i plan on keeping are anubias nana,Cryptocoryne parva,Cryptocoryne willisii,Hygrophila corymbosa "Angustifolia". I'd also like to have dwarf harigrass but would my lighting support it?

Currently in the tank i have 1 cabomba and 2 unidentified plants. I was told they were bacopa but i'm not entirely sure. Heres a picture:

img_1489215_0_5fa7a1d7ef8e1c44dc5fd0ba49315430.jpg

I will be updating with full tank shots once i change my substrate to sand later on this week.

Heres my stock list:
-8 Penguin tetras (already have)
-6 Leopard Cories (already have)
-3 Otos (already have)
-1 Angelfish
-2 Keyhole Cichlids
-1 Bolivian Ram

I really like gouramis and i'm wondering if i can have a honey gourami?

So only low light plants? No dwarf hairgrass? Oh and what about the honey gourami?

IMO the honey DG is fine. Yess I once asked about T8 bulbs because that's what I got from the Petco here...the plant experts said it was only good for really low light setups like java fern and maybe anubias. If you invest in them T5's and LEDs are a lot better, kinda pricey but worth it.

i was looking into T5HO but my tank length is 31 3/4'' in length. The light canopy i saw were either in 24'' or 36''. Where would i be able to find one that fits the length of my tank? Also what would i use as a hood? I was thinking a glass lid with a hinge for feeding but i'm thinking that it won't allow or oxygen exchange.

Heres the 24'' one: Aquatic products

I also came across this one but agin only in 24'' and 36'': 2F/2Bulbs fixtures

Ok so i emailed the seller and they do have 30'' fixtures :dance: I will likely be getting a 2 bulb T5HO fixture. What color temp should i go with? They offer 6700K, 10000K, 14000K or 20000K.

The fixture will have 2x24W bulbs so will that classify as medium light? I REALLY want that dwarf hairgrass for a carpet.

From what I've read, both the 6000k and the 10000k bulbs both work for plants. I've got a 10000k bulb in mine and my plants seem to enjoy it.

Ok thanks! Anyone know where i can get a custom hinged glass top? Tank measures 31 1/4'' x 13 3/4''

I started the transition to sand! My fish and plants are in a bucket and I'm taking out the gravel now.

Attachments

• image-1635568478.jpg
    image-1635568478.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 114
Sand is in and the tank I ready for new lights and more plants and fish!

Attachments

• image-3794604984.jpg
    image-3794604984.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 98
lovely set up

My dear friend I received your message,the rocks look great and shouldn't be a hazard

Thanks buzz!

On a side note i just ordered my T5HO light fixture and will be ordering my plants tonight.

I'm still trying to order the plants. The guy I'm buying from hasn't been replying.

The light fixture shipped yesterday so it should be here in 2-8 days. Everything is coming together nicely but I still need a proper hood. I was thinking going without a top or getting some plexi glass or acrylic cut to size.

As far as stock goes I'm looking to complete it this week. I'm just missing the angel, keyholes and ram.

Thanks! I'm hoping the light fixture will be in this week and depending on how fast i get a reply the plants too. Tomorrow I'll be making a trip to my LFS to completely finalize the stock. I'll be getting a keyhole, GBR, angelfish and a DG of some type. I'll also pick up some ferts and a couple extra plants depending on type and condition.

I'm thinking going without a hood. The only problem i see is evaporation so i might lower my temp to 74F. Any tips or opinions from people who have gone without a hood?

Nooooooooooo :( I slept through the doorbell. The Lights were here but I missed the delivery guy. I have to pick them up tomorrow so I'll have pictures then. I'm also going to my LFS tonight so new plants and fish! That also means pictures ;) Now I just have to get my plants ordered which seems like it's taking forever because I only get a reply once a day it seems. Anyway I'll update if anything new happens.

Haha I knew it was too good to be true! The package wasn't the lights but the filter for my 5G :p

New fish and plants!!! Need an ID on 3 plants though.

I got a chocolate gourami, black marble angel, Bolivian ram and keyhole cichlid. More detail and pics after I acclimate!

Attachments

• image-2844351879.jpg
    image-2844351879.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 52
  • image-1129976675.jpg
    image-1129976675.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 70
Back
Top Bottom