Oscar's consantly fighting....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MichaelsLilGray

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Any way to stop oscars from fighting? it wouldnt be to bad.. but they are both a foot long lol. I knew they probably would be.. so i put them both in a bucket.. then rearranged everything in the tank.. it made it worse... i wouldnt even have this other one, but petco said they were putting it down cause it was to big to sell....

Does this new Oscar make a total of 3 in the tank now?

Some techniques I have used...

What is the current temp of the tank?
I have found keeping the temp around 79 to 80 tends to keep my Oscars (2 tigers in a 125gal) more "mellow"

Keeping them well fed (whole krill, pelleted food, etc.) also seems to keep the aggression down.

After they matured and started sparring, I used to stand by the tank and would break up the fight with a pair of tongs that are normally used to arrange tank decorations. It seemed at some point, they just stopped fighting - or else the tongs would come in and chase them. ;-)

Try less decorations in the tank, then no fish can claim a territory. Carefully observe them after this, as it could make things worse for all tank residents.

Try less light on/in the tank or shorter light(photo) period.

i fixed the problem.... my mom took one to her house LOL. Before she picked them up, it looked as though, they just lost intrest in fighting.. it was pretty bad.. my oscar had a few cuts and bite marks.. the other was missing almost every scale on his body from countless attacks.. id of baby sat them but i have to sleep. anywho.. its done now.. but thats a good little bit of advice. i still have the 12"er and a little 3"er.. but im sure the 3"er will figure out pretty quick who owns the tank lol

Back
Top Bottom