Oscars really need 55 gallons for themselves?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmats

Aquarium Advice Freak
there is a bar next door to my house that I go to religiously. In the corner of the bar they have a 55 gallon aquarium housed by two oscars. The oscars are 12" each. They have been living together in the same tank for as long as I have been going to this bar, probably about 2 years.

I brought this up to the guys at the LFS I go to and one guy was saying he has an Oscar, green terror, and a jack Dempsey all living together in a 75 gallon tank peacefully besides the occasional chase.

I have always been intrigued by oscars and their amazing personalities and I noticed these fish do not move with much activity unless they are chasing food.

Why is it that people say oscars need a minimum of 55 gallons and why do some people get away with a lot less space?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm sure there are plenty of people out there that do it, but the Oscars won't be at their best in that small a space. If you want to enjoy them properly, like pointed out 125 G would be much better. And more importantly its better for the long term health of the fish. They should be seriously overfiltering i would have thought.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Why is it that people say oscars need a minimum of 55 gallons and why do some people get away with a lot less space?

think of it this way.
Prisons are full of people living in very tight quarters.
As long as the basic needs are met, they continue to live.
but where would you rather be living, in your house or in a 10x6 room?
:cool:

think of it this way.
Prisons are full of people living in very tight quarters.
As long as the basic needs are met, they continue to live.
but where would you rather be living, in your house or in a 10x6 room?
:cool:

Exactly thrive vs survive

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom