Oscars & Tankmates - Input/Opinions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

240sx

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have a fish tank, I don't know the exact dimensions but it's between 25-30 I was told when I bought it.

I just finished cycling it and I have the following fish. (started with 15 goldfish, there was 5 when I put him in.

Albino Tiger OscarThis is Him, what I wanted to build my tank around. I gotta get you guys pics, great colour. He is about 2 inches. I bought him on Monday and he's killed all the goldfish that were in there from the cycling. He has crazy neon orange colour and black definition throughout.

Bala Shark my friend had one and it survived with an oscar. 2 and a half inches Silver in colour

Green Severen all I know is the guy at Big Al's in Richmond B.C. told me could live with the Oscar. (got reccomended to go there by plenty people) He is rounded shape and 2 inches as well. Green in colour.

Convict Cichlid Read on a few fish sites that some have brought them up with the Oscars as well. He is about 2 and three quarter inches. Purplish in colour. Biggest fish in the tank.

Pleco Of course you have to have the sucker fish.

Anybody have any of these fish? Did I make bad tankmates? I went on the best info I could find.

I know my Oscar is already aggressive because he has already hunted and killed month old goldfish. However the other fish are the same size or larger. But In the tank my friend had with the Bala & Oscars, there was a rather large godlfish, the feeder the never died. Who knows.

Now I completely understand that the tank I have is too small. That was the only research I didn't look into and I know it's a bad call. I am in the search for a good deal on a 90 gallon tank right now. I have spare pumps for it and can afford more rocks etc. So that's not a big deal currently.

The bala shark is too peaceful to live with cichlids, if they start picking on it it won't defend itself.

Albino Tiger OscarThis is Him, what I wanted to build my tank around. I gotta get you guys pics, great colour. He is about 2 inches. I bought him on Monday and he's killed all the goldfish that were in there from the cycling. He has crazy neon orange colour and black definition throughout.

Not my definition of an Albino, but... Jeff

ya but that's what it was labeled at the fish store. He has an albino body, with the colours on the outside. And of course his eyes are red as well.

I'll get pics asap!

Albino Oscars are white with orange markings not black.

Glad you now know abot the tank size.
Dont wait to long or you will stunt his growth.

Get a 125 gallon if you can you'll be better off in the long run.

well I woke up this morning late for a meeting, and oscar was a mess, all his fins looked like they were ripped apart. He took a beating and by the time I had a shower he was dead. He lasted one night.

On another note the Bala Shark is swimming at large and he hasn't been touched.

The best news but comes kinda late is that I found a smokin deal on a 100g tank set, $300 for stand & everything.

don't go for anything less than a 125gl with those fish. even though your oscar died you know just as well as i do that you'll buy another one.

I'd say... Don't spend too much money. I'd just start over and give the fish to your lfs. Bala sharks are schooling and need to be in groups of 6 or more. Goldfish prefer cooler water, too. Is this your first tank? I think you'd do better with smaller schooling fish.

OR, you could go ahead and get a huge tank and spend $1000, if money is not a problem. :D

I just got a 90 gallon recently and I've probably spent $800 dollars on everything including fish. Now I'm broke, lol. I didn't think it would cost as much as it did.

wright4lfe said:
don't go for anything less than a 125gl with those fish. even though your oscar died you know just as well as i do that you'll buy another one.

I would really like to, but after the complications I doubt I will.

I'm going to let these two fish grow up and stick them in the 100 gallon.

They'll do OK in a 100.
Just take it slowly. Takes take a while to cycle and it's not worth putting all the fish in at one time--unless for reasons of territoriality or aggression, you have to. Jeff

Back
Top Bottom