oscars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I actually agree with NH1. If it is taking them 2 years to out grow a tank that means your physically damaging them for life. When you buy a fish you need to get it its max tank size almost right away. That is what a responsible pet owner would do.

Not to be mean but it is the cold heart truth.

I hope none of these people that buy a fish just to raise it until its too big for the tank that its in have kids. If youre not ready to commit to its life span dont buy it!

basing parental skills on the way you handle fish?

If it's taking them 2 years to outgrow a 40G you are stunting them and damaging them for life. I realize that they are fish and no my name isn't "dude" nor do you know me well enough to refer to me by that. They are living creatures that we keep and warrant some level of respect. JMHO...

I call everyone dude...

2 years is just a number that I threw out there...

My father has the same "common pleco" in his 55 gallon for 7 years. It has grown to 8 inches and has not grown any in the last couple years. So tell me, does this mean that he is this doing something that is morally or ethically wrong because its growth is stunted? I have also relocated a "common pleco" just recently to someone with a larger tank because it out grew my 55. Does this mean I should turn myself in to social services because I'm not fit to continue raising my nine year old?

as long as the fish have a happy home and you don't toss them in the rivers and lakes!!!

Sorry for my opinions.... sorry for calling you dude...

I call everyone dude...

2 years is just a number that I threw out there...

My father has the same "common pleco" in his 55 gallon for 7 years. It has grown to 8 inches and has not grown any in the last couple years. So tell me, does this mean that he is this doing something that is morally or ethically wrong because its growth is stunted? I have also relocated a "common pleco" just recently to someone with a larger tank because it out grew my 55. Does this mean I should turn myself in to social services because I'm not fit to continue raising my nine year old?

as long as the fish have a happy home and you don't toss them in the rivers and lakes!!!

Sorry for my opinions.... sorry for calling you dude...

Don't apologize for opinions. We can all be strong willed, set in our beliefs and still debate in an adult manner. I hope...

But to your question above, yes. I believe knowingly stunting a fish is absolutely 100% wrong.

basing parental skills on the way you handle fish?

Just hoping that you dont teach children that pets are disposable. Did not mean it to question your parenting skills. Moving fish to people with bigger tanks is commendable. I have fish that I wouldnt normally have because I have rescued them from people that were going to flush them because they didnt like the color. I have a friend with a 360G that takes fish that I rescue when they get too big for my tanks. I just wish that people would look at fish the way they do dogs or cats. It is the same at Easter when people think it is a great idea to get their kid a bunny or chick, then it gets to be too big of a hassle and they let it go outside. Or the guy that gets a python cuz he thinks its cool to have, then realizes that its actually a pet that needs to be taken care of. I guess there are just different types of fish keepers. I try to plan a tank for fish that I will have for their entire lifespan and I plan the tank that way. I plan the substrate, filtration, rockwork....etc for that particular type of fish. Probably a little too anal. But I believe all pets should be happy. I have or have had parrots, dogs, snakes, and fish and treat them all equally as well. Sorry if I have insulted anyone. As usual this is just my opinion.

friend who takes your fish?

Just hoping that you dont teach children that pets are disposable. Did not mean it to question your parenting skills. Moving fish to people with bigger tanks is commendable. I have fish that I wouldnt normally have because I have rescued them from people that were going to flush them because they didnt like the color. I have a friend with a 360G that takes fish that I rescue when they get too big for my tanks. I just wish that people would look at fish the way they do dogs or cats. It is the same at Easter when people think it is a great idea to get their kid a bunny or chick, then it gets to be too big of a hassle and they let it go outside. Or the guy that gets a python cuz he thinks its cool to have, then realizes that its actually a pet that needs to be taken care of. I guess there are just different types of fish keepers. I try to plan a tank for fish that I will have for their entire lifespan and I plan the tank that way. I plan the substrate, filtration, rockwork....etc for that particular type of fish. Probably a little too anal. But I believe all pets should be happy. I have or have had parrots, dogs, snakes, and fish and treat them all equally as well. Sorry if I have insulted anyone. As usual this is just my opinion.
i dont get how that is different from my origanal point of buying a fish and giving it to someone later on who has a larger tank,i said i did that with my oscars and got called out for disposing of it.i wish i could have a 360 gal tank but i cant.i didnt do my homework when my son begged for the black ghost.im sorry i gave in and now im a horrible person for stunting it.all i can say is you live and learn

i dont get how that is different from my origanal point of buying a fish and giving it to someone later on who has a larger tank,i said i did that with my oscars and got called out for disposing of it.
the difference is they didnt buy the fish they are saving it. its like going to a shelter for a dog vs buying from a breeder or something.

im sorry i gave in and now im a horrible person for stunting it.all i can say is you live and learn
but at least you seem to be learning. most people who buy these fish dont know what they are really getting. a lot of lfs its about the sell not about what works. if they fish dies they are happy since you are coming back for more.

ok im not going to argue anymore i do understand it is stunting and plan to get a larger tank for my son's bgk but i have the wife to fight with over that,so one battle at a time.i just learned of this site a couple months ago and have learned alot so i am im grateful.but my next question is it even realistic to get a new tank or would i need one larger then most can have?i have heard people say 200 gal is too small(which makes me laugh).so what are my options?

one factor they are a slow grower vs other monster fish. i think a 180 wouldnt be too bad but a 180 is 24 inch wide for a fish that gets over 20+ inch doesnt give it much room to turn. its not a super active fish but still. thats why people say bigger.

Back
Top Bottom