Oscars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JGrawberger

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Got two of them they paired up and now ones is beating one up sometimes is this normal?

Yes,you would be better off with 1 or 3,oscars in pairs will often fight and can damage if not kill one another,be sure your tank is large enough as they get quite large fast

Megacichlid said:
Yes,you would be better off with 1 or 3,oscars in pairs will often fight and can damage if not kill one another,be sure your tank is large enough as they get quite large fast

+1 my friend has oscars too :) good luck though!

Golden rule with Oscars.... 1 or 3 (or more), but never 2. What size tank is it? Unless it's a 150 or better, don't get a third, you don't have enough room. I would recommend re-homing one of them, otherwise the aggressor can, and likely will, literally hound the other one to death.

Its a 55 and there only 5 inches ad u had three at one point and they pAired off so i removed him and they were goodfor awhile locking lips doin there thing than all of a sudden she just started kicking his *** ?

Sounds like typical cichlid behavior. As long as there is no physical damage to either fish, you should be fine.

Breeding Oscars

Got two of them they paired up and now ones is beating one up sometimes is this normal?

I used to breed 13 pairs of Oscars in specially made 35 gal tanks so you don't need a huge tank to breed your fish right now. They do need to be by themselves however. These tanks were only 30" long x 18" wide. My biggest pair was 20" and 22" which started out in one of the special 35s then upgraded to a 75 gal as they grew.
Normal breeding behavior is for lip locking prior to nest building. The nest will be a flat surface (prefererably a big flat stone) on the bottom of the tank which they will both clean off. After nest building, more courtship then spawning.
Fair warning: a breeding pair of oscars is not a pretty pair of Oscars. Breeding battle scars just can't be avoided.

Hope this helps...(y)

Last edited:
Andy Sager said:
I used to breed 13 pairs of Oscars in specially made 35 gal tanks so you don't need a huge tank to breed your fish right now. They do need to be by themselves however. These tanks were only 30" long x 18" wide. My biggest pair was 20" and 22" which started out in one of the special 35s then upgraded to a 75 gal as they grew.
Normal breeding behavior is for lip locking prior to nest building. The nest will be a flat surface (prefererably a big flat stone) on the bottom of the tank which they will both clean off. After nest building, more courtship then spawning.
Fair warning: a breeding pair of oscars is not a pretty pair of Oscars. Breeding battle scars just can't be avoided.

Hope this helps...(y)

So cool. I wish my 2 would mate

Back
Top Bottom