Osmocote question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wiggles24

Aquarium Advice Addict
Yes, I know this should probably be in the plant section but I figured I would get more response here since I am leery about this. So I have been doing the liquid fertilizer thing and my plants are ok but I am thinking that they need more so I looked into root tabs but cost wise they would end up bring really expensive. I have several planted tanks. Anyways I have read on here about the DIY root tabs using osmocote. My questions are the following, is there any particular type to use/avoid? Has anybody had bad experiences doing this? What if you have bottom dwellers such as loaches or banjo catfish that really like to mess with the substrate?
Sorry I just don't want to harm my fish:(

The type you want is Osmocote plus, as it contains more micronutrients to nourish plants. As long as you use responsible amounts (as recommend on other threads), you shouldn't have any risk you your inhabitants. I've used a product similar to osmocote before, and my nutrient balls ended up getting uprooted and finding their way to the surface where I would just shove them back down. There was never any harm to the fish along the way.

I used Rootmedic root tabs, which are basically osmocote in gel tabs with a different formulation of nutrients. I do not recommend this brand, as I was not satisfied with mine.

Sp I went around to the stores in this area today and nobody here carries osmocote, what I did find was a similar product made by miracle grow do you think that would be safe to use?

This is MSDS on this product....potassium chloride, ammonium phosphate, sulphur, iron sulphate, iron oxide, magnesium sulphate, magnesium oxide, copper oxide, manganese sulphate, manganese oxide, copper sulphate, zinc sulfate and ammonium sulphate

Back
Top Bottom