Other kinds of food.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shetland James

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm wondering what interesting home-made concoctions people have made to feed their fish with? I tend to feed mine peas occasionally - the female guppies love them, the Ram completely ignores them.

I used to use Lettuce when I had Pleco's too but I currently don't have any.

I'm always keen to try something different - has anyone used anything else to any successful extent? Like fruit?

No fruit, cucumber i high on my plecos list and peas like you said. Spinach is another good thing, live foods too mysis shrimp, blood worms things like that are benificial in a fishes diet. But they also like to have normal flake or pellet every now and again by that i mean their main diet should be that with a treat being the other foods.

So far I've found live food to be overly complicated or expensive. 80p per wee bag where I am. I bought 3 and I'm currently trying to raise them in a fish bowl but I'm immensely confused as they don't seem to do anything apart from dodder about in the tank. They don't seem to grow and I'm pretty sure they've only like, bred once.

Some people say clean the tank, others say don't. Arg!

Daphnia.

I haven't found a proper explanation for how best to raise them. Youtube clips seem to be just of people showing off their collection? :p

Maybe I'm being too hasty. I haven't been able to get the following answered:

Do they need a filter?
Do they need a heater?

EDIT: By 3 I mean 3 pouches

You can feed fruit. You can try apples and oranges to start with. My snails LOVED them, but the fish were like "Meh, no thanks." Just make sure you don't leave it in the tank too long, so you don't foul your water.
Do you have mosquitos where you live? Are they out right now? If so, you can put a bucket of water out in the yard, and wait for the skeeters to lay their eggs on the surface (they will) and then just harvest them. Daphnia is mosquito larvae. ;) Easy peasy.

Once we're finally done with all the home improvements I plan to start making my own fish food. I'll have a batch for african cichlids since they need a low protein diet and a batch for everyone else.

The african food will have a small amount of shrimp (with shells), veggies and a vitamin additive.

Everyone else's food will have the same plus beef heart.

I have heard of people feeding egg yolks to fry, but that's about the extent of my knowledge LOL.

Holy cow! You live wayyyyy out there! Things must be spendy! :( No mosquitos huh? I thought those buggers were everywhere. Haha!

tons of things you can fed just have to start trying things.
img_1183901_0_39a45538eed358973dd6a96278305d60.jpg

if you have fry why not just do bbs?

Back
Top Bottom