Oto cat and Clown Loach Died Suddenly!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsilvers

Aquarium Advice Regular
I can't figure out exactly why. Yes, we are fighting a phosphate issue, but it's not extremely high. We do regular water changes, the pH is great, all water chemistry (excluding phosphates) is fine. Any thoughts? We do have two SAEs, and they are rather territorial. We were thinking we had too many bottom feeders and not everyone was getting to eat? The one thing about the Oto cat was he got a bit bloated...which is odd. The other two remaining Otos are fine. The clown loach was just happily swimming the other day... :-(

Aw damn dsilvers. That sucks :(

Just to be clear, when you say water chemistry is fine, you mean 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 20 or less ppm nitrates? Also, what size tank/what kinda fish? Tank temps? I'm assuming the tank has been up for a while as it appears cycled, but just to be sure, how long has it been cycled? And lastly, any new additions/changes?

Ok, a little brain storming here (obviously no specific answers):

The oto was bloated...I wonder if he was constipated or had dropsy? If it was dropsy, thats usually indicative of another infection (dropsy is more a symptom than a disease itself). It MAY explain why the clown also passed away; if there is some sort of infection in your tank its spreading to the susceptible fish.

I'm noticing its the scaleless fish which had probs; I'm wondering if anything else got into the water? Has anyone been doing any cleaning with spray type cleaners near the tank? Could a small child have dropped something in? They'll absorb chemicals much more quickly then the scaled fish (is why treating for ich with malachite green is such a prob with them).

Were there any unusual markings on the body when you found them (not including any of the tankmates snacking on them after)?

Yeah, I don't think its the phosphates themselves either. What is causing the high levels tho? Were you guys able to figure that out?

Allivymar said:
Just to be clear, when you say water chemistry is fine, you mean 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 20 or less ppm nitrates? Also, what size tank/what kinda fish? Tank temps? I'm assuming the tank has been up for a while as it appears cycled, but just to be sure, how long has it been cycled? And lastly, any new additions/changes?

0 Ammonia
0 ppm of nitrites
0-5 ppm of nitrates
P04 2ppm+ (we are working on this)
pH 7
Temp between 72-75 degrees

55 gallon tank
Eheim canister filter
Air stone
Eco Complete plant substrate (re: phospates, ruled them out)
Live plants galore (we plant heavily)
CoralLife plant light
Plenty of hiding places, etc.

Been cycled for little more than two months now. The substrate have live bacteria which helps settle the tank and we added a few gallons of water from an older tank that is diong well.
We plan to bring our two SAEs back to the LFS and not get anything else. So that would leave us with:

2 small angel fish (babies)
1 clown loach (1 other died)
2 oto cats (1 other died)
2 raspboras (small)
2 Black phantom tetras
2 serpae tetras
4 glass catfish
1 pleco
2 long-finned danio
2 zebra danio
6 neons
2 Colombian tetras

outside of the pleco and angels everything is relatively small....we added them up by inch, etc. with 5 gallons per angel fish...

Allivymar said:
The oto was bloated...I wonder if he was constipated or had dropsy? If it was dropsy, thats usually indicative of another infection (dropsy is more a symptom than a disease itself). It MAY explain why the clown also passed away; if there is some sort of infection in your tank its spreading to the susceptible fish.

I suspected dropsy, but it's harder to tell with otos as they don't have scales that would stick out on another fish and be obvious of dropsy...so I thought maybe constipated. I did read they are prone to that. Since we put the Otos in a few weeks ago, they have been nonstop eaters...so I thought perhaps he ate too much?

Allivymar said:
I'm noticing its the scaleless fish which had probs; I'm wondering if anything else got into the water? Has anyone been doing any cleaning with spray type cleaners near the tank? Could a small child have dropped something in? They'll absorb chemicals much more quickly then the scaled fish (is why treating for ich with malachite green is such a prob with them).

We do not use any chemicals in the water other than plant fertilizer (made for aquatic plants, been using it for a while). We are very careful and regular about water changes and substrate vacuuming. If I use glass cleaner it's on the outside and I spray onto a paper towel first just to get water spots off the outside of the glass. No kids...so no there. But yes, it is the scaleless fish...it's so weird. But it's also the bottom feeders, which is why initially I thought about the SAEs.

The one thing that is at all new is filter media from Hagen called Phos-X. It's in the canister filter to draw out the phosphates. It's safe for saltwater as well as fresh, which usually indicates that it's very safe as things have to be very safe for marine aquariums. But besides that, nothing...it's so odd.

Allivymar said:
Were there any unusual markings on the body when you found them (not including any of the tankmates snacking on them after)?

I checked the poor fellows out. So sad :-( The Oto had nothing on him...just his fat little belly, which had actually gotten smaller than they day or so prior. And the loach had nothing...just looked pale in death. So sad...

Allivymar said:
What is causing the high levels tho? Were you guys able to figure that out?
We tested our tap water, we stopped feeding, got low phosphate food, etc. We finally diluted this liquid CO2 we were using and tested it...it came out screaming with phosphates. It only lasts for 16 days in the tank and at that time we were on day 14. So we did a 25% water change and got the Hagen Phos-X filter media into the canister. Turns out our 20 gallon also has the Phosphate issue. Now, the 20 gallon is older...about 9 months and does very well with regular water changes, etc. But we used the CO2 in there, too. So that also got a filter thing and water changes. It's so weird...we can't seem to lower these phosphates!!

Yeah, with excellent water parameters like that, and the fact the tank is obviously cycled, we can rule out any problems coming from there. I find it best to check there first; easiest to fix and can be the precipitating factor in lots of fish issues.

Except for the plec (I'm assuming its a common one), the angels and the loach, you've got smallish fish in there that will stay smallish; doesn't sound like overcrowding is an issue either.

Do keep in mind that pinecone look is only one expression of dropsy, although its the easist to diagnose with (and the most obvious besides the bloating). Lethargy and not eating are some others; did you happen to notice any of those symptoms? I know, its hard, especially with small fish in a well planted tank.

Just a FYI; don't use glass cleaner at all; even the fumes can cause probs in VERY sensitive fish. I usually wipe mine down with vinegar. Yeah ok LOL makes the living room smell like the kitchen for a little while LOL but its safe and it works :) I read on one of the forums a while back, this guy with a SW tank would go out to play cards with his buddies on Tues. Every time he got home, he had a dead fish. He could NOT figure out what the hell was going on. Turns out, when he would go out with the boys, his wife would sit in the living room in front of the TV and do her nails. The fumes were what was killing his fish. Amazing eh?

I know squat about Phos-x LOL I did a google search on it and came up with very little other then its made for ponds, is supposed to be safe for all fish and someone thought it removes nitrites as well as phosphates. Couldn't even discover whats IN it. Is it helping at all? It kinda doesn't sound that way. Came across an article on phosphates; I don't know if it would be helpful at all, but heres the link just in case: http://www.jackswoodpets.co.uk/Aquatics-test-Phosphate.htm . You may also want to check the FAQs over at Wetwebmedia: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/po4faqs.htm to see if theres any answers there for you. I'm thinking the liquid CO2 is somehow still in your system but I can't figure out how.

thank you so much for all of your thoughts! i will definitely stop using glass cleaner. White vinegar diluted is good for everything. We used it when my dog was a puppy and peed, gets rid of the ammonia smell so they do not repeatedly pee in the same spot. Tip for any puppy owners! Anyway, we took another lost Oto to our LFS guy and he took a good look. He said in general, they don't tend to live long AND, he had heard what I had read, they get constipated! As for their energy, they were all active and then BAM two died. It was very sudden.

We definitely think the CO2 was the PO4 culprit. We went to a great store and spoke at length with them. They gave us secondary carbon filter media to put in the canister, as we only had a carbon pad! We didn't realize. So taht should help. We got new nylon filter media bags, put the two other media in there and just quickly rinsed the pads...leaving the filter media alone, not touching the bacteria. Then we put it back together and we'll see. We will continue with water changes. We threw out the Phos-X, it hasn't done anything in a week!!

Thanks again! We'll keep you updated!

No prob and please let us know how its going!

Btw, I have to admit I didn't realise there was a diff between carbon pads and carbon filters...more research for me *grin* Thanx!

Back
Top Bottom