Oto Catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishenthusiast

Aquarium Advice Addict
Alright, I'm set to get some Otos for my planted aquarium, but I have a few concerns before I purchase a few of them because of varying info on them from the Internet. I'd like to hear from the AA folks before purchasing. First, how large of a group would you recommend for this fish in a 30 gallon long tank? Secondly, if the tank doesn't have a lot of algae, what is the best food for them and how often should they be fed? Also, how does one keep them from starving over, say, a one week vacation? I know they can starve easily. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

How long has the tank been running? A well-established tank is a must. What else is in the tank?

I keep three in a well-planted 20 gallon, but the other fish are nanos and a betta. I feed them algae wafers every other day, and a blanched zucchini slice about once a week. I've had them for over three years now. They are definitely happier in a little group so I would get four at least. If you have larger, aggressive fish I might think twice about getting them.

Otos are amazing!

The minimum I would have is 3, they do swim together and seem to like hanging out together but as long as they have good hiding spots to hide away from prying eyes they should feel fine. That said, I do have 5 in my 30 gallon.

I don't actually feed them too often as they seem very full from the tiny amount of algae I have and nibbling on older and dying leaves from live plants before I trim them off. Mine seem also very picky, they don't like algae wafers much same with cucumbers and zucchini like most I've seen....but lettuce they will destroy overnight :p

I try and limit my feeding to when I notice their bellies don't look full and healthy like they should.

Otos are amazing!

The minimum I would have is 3, they do swim together and seem to like hanging out together but as long as they have good hiding spots to hide away from prying eyes they should feel fine. That said, I do have 5 in my 30 gallon.

I don't actually feed them too often as they seem very full from the tiny amount of algae I have and nibbling on older and dying leaves from live plants before I trim them off. Mine seem also very picky, they don't like algae wafers much same with cucumbers and zucchini like most I've seen....but lettuce they will destroy overnight :p

I try and limit my feeding to when I notice their bellies don't look full and healthy like they should.

Thanks for the tips! I have a veggie clip and plenty of lettuce. ??

How long has the tank been running? A well-established tank is a must. What else is in the tank?

I keep three in a well-planted 20 gallon, but the other fish are nanos and a betta. I feed them algae wafers every other day, and a blanched zucchini slice about once a week. I've had them for over three years now. They are definitely happier in a little group so I would get four at least. If you have larger, aggressive fish I might think twice about getting them.

The tank has been set up for about 4 years. The other inhabitants are 10 Harlequin Rasboras, 5 Kuhli Loaches, a Dwarf Honey Gourami, and some red cheery shrimp.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have only 2 in my 36 gallon and they don't swim together at all. I have plenty of decor, rocks and plastic plants, so they always find something. Never thought about giving them anything special. They clean great though, the 2 keep a healthy amount of algae, it's never completely gone on the rocks.

Back
Top Bottom