Otocinclus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nuclear Queen

Aquarium Advice Regular
Does my oto need an air pump to be happy?
I put in an air pump for my goldie, but I don't have her anymore and now the sound of the pump is just extremely irritating. If I took it out of the tank, would my oto suffer at all?

The air pump is more for surface agitation than anything else, which helps in gas exchange. So it is not necessary to have if you other means for surface agitation such as a HOB filter. I know some people will have them in their tank just for looks or sometimes their fish enjoy playing in the bubbles.

If the tank is at least a 10gal and there are no other fish, no you don't need the pump. Just an FYI, buy a good pump and place it on a computer mouse pad.

The air pump is more for surface agitation than anything else, which helps in gas exchange. So it is not necessary to have if you other means for surface agitation such as a HOB filter. I know some people will have them in their tank just for looks or sometimes their fish enjoy playing in the bubbles.

I know this, but I want to know if an oto NEEDS that surface agitation. I havent found anything saying otos are or are not labyrinth fish. I want to put him in with a betta, who (in my experience) dislike bubblers. If there was so surface agitation, would the oto still be fine, like cory's would be?

Your oto will be fine without the air pump. I have 3 in my 20 long and do not use an air pump.

Back
Top Bottom